The Frugality Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How are things with your son now, I hope things are a bit better than before. Could you ask him to wipe up any misses with loo roll/spray or a mop and bucket etc, whatever you do in your house?

It does get done as there a mop in the bathroom but you still need to bleach mop the floor because the smell lingers unless you chemically attack it , puddles tend to get left at night if he needs to go in the middle of the night

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I batch cook and I do not have an oven. I fill up the freezers with home made ready meals. An oven heats way too much space for my pocket. Single Pringle, like so many others, so all the bills are mine to pay.
18 yr old VW. I filled up this weekend and she’s currently giving me 62mpg. I do some short trips in her. If I am doing a big shop, I will drive to the gym instead of ride and pick up a couple of sacks of dog food while I am at it. Most other trips either my bike or, if going to the city, a Beryl bike as I got a buy 100 min, get 100 mins free deal.
I have a Ninja 11 in 1 multi cooker. It rocks. Baked spuds in 10 mins with crispy skins. It pressure cooks, roasts, grills, sautés, bakes, air frys, steams and even does popcorn. Very frugal on the electricity.

I am not one for the heating and do use my water bottle. My last home was very cold so I invested in a single electric blanket and snuggled under until I was warm - about 5 mins - then turned it off. I have 2 enormous hoodies that I bought in summer on a very good deal (3 for £69). 2 here, 1 at blokes place. I layer up, own thermals and knitted myself hand warmer things so I can still type wearing them. I am moving to a better insulated flat, I can’t cope with a city any longer, with a sunny garden and thinking of solar panels, if I can get some second hand. I do have solar lights for evenings, not good enough to read by but ok for watching TV.

Nothing on standby. Ever. I shower at the gym. I probably won’t renew when my year is up, in fact I will probably be moved by then so will get a refund. Only flush the loo when I have to. I have enough pants, socks, tee shirts etc for a fortnight so washing machine on bi-weekly and wash up every other day.

Pick up a copy of yesterday's Daily Mail from the floor of the bus on the way home from work. It will save you having to buy toilet paper. :okay:

I don't buy a newspaper, but I furkle through a neighbour's recycling bin for them. They get used to light the fire in the winter, and to line the girls' litter trays.

And yes, the neighbour in question buys the Daily Mail.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't buy a newspaper, but I furkle through a neighbour's recycling bin for them. They get used to light the fire in the winter, and to line the girls' litter trays.

And yes, the neighbour in question buys the Daily Mail.

I mostly ignore news and haven't bought a newspaper in about twenty years but I do miss them as they're useful for all sorts of things such as keeping the floor clean when I dismantle a bike in the kitchen of my flat or stuffing into my shoes when they get wet. I often help myself to a few of the local free newspaper if they have them sitting at the checkout in the supermarket.

I mostly ignore news and haven't bought a newspaper in about twenty years but I do miss them as they're useful for all sorts of things such as keeping the floor clean when I dismantle a bike in the kitchen of my flat or stuffing into my shoes when they get wet. I often help myself to a few of the local free newspaper if they have them sitting at the checkout in the supermarket.

Whereas I don't ignore the news - I do enjoy keeping up to date on current affairs. But for the most part, newspapers today seem just a shocking waste of money as they seem to be predominantly full of adverts for holidays I don't want or gadgets that can be classed as white elephants. Yes, I know it's part of the business model in a time of declining readership, but still...

However, I also avail myself of free newspapers in the stations (Metro / Evening Standard) or in the supermarket. As you rightly say, newspaper (the paper, not what's printed on it) is incredibly useful.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whereas I don't ignore the news - I do enjoy keeping up to date on current affairs. But for the most part, newspapers today seem just a shocking waste of money as they seem to be predominantly full of adverts for holidays I don't want or gadgets that can be classed as white elephants. Yes, I know it's part of the business model in a time of declining readership, but still...

However, I also avail myself of free newspapers in the stations (Metro / Evening Standard) or in the supermarket. As you rightly say, newspaper (the paper, not what's printed on it) is incredibly useful.

Not least for wrapping your paint brush in after cleaning it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Limescale doesn't really build up on porcelain though does it? Taps, metal yes but not sure ive seen it on porcelain.

It certainly does if you're in a hard water area, several mm thick if left unchecked. Stains, and bleach won't remove the staining. Need to dissolve with acid and chip away at it to remove.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I batch cook and I do not have an oven. I fill up the freezers with home made ready meals. An oven heats way too much space for my pocket. Single Pringle, like so many others, so all the bills are mine to pay.
18 yr old VW. I filled up this weekend and she’s currently giving me 62mpg. I do some short trips in her. If I am doing a big shop, I will drive to the gym instead of ride and pick up a couple of sacks of dog food while I am at it. Most other trips either my bike or, if going to the city, a Beryl bike as I got a buy 100 min, get 100 mins free deal.
I have a Ninja 11 in 1 multi cooker. It rocks. Baked spuds in 10 mins with crispy skins. It pressure cooks, roasts, grills, sautés, bakes, air frys, steams and even does popcorn. Very frugal on the electricity.

I am not one for the heating and do use my water bottle. My last home was very cold so I invested in a single electric blanket and snuggled under until I was warm - about 5 mins - then turned it off. I have 2 enormous hoodies that I bought in summer on a very good deal (3 for £69). 2 here, 1 at blokes place. I layer up, own thermals and knitted myself hand warmer things so I can still type wearing them. I am moving to a better insulated flat, I can’t cope with a city any longer, with a sunny garden and thinking of solar panels, if I can get some second hand. I do have solar lights for evenings, not good enough to read by but ok for watching TV.

Nothing on standby. Ever. I shower at the gym. I probably won’t renew when my year is up, in fact I will probably be moved by then so will get a refund. Only flush the loo when I have to. I have enough pants, socks, tee shirts etc for a fortnight so washing machine on bi-weekly and wash up every other day.

Agree re: the Ninja - brilliant! Versatile and frugal 😀
Every home should have one....

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Pick up a copy of yesterday's Daily Mail from the floor of the bus on the way home from work. It will save you having to buy toilet paper. :okay:

Yes and may cost you £100 plus if you have to call out a plumber because the toilet pipes are blocked. No one should put newspaper down a loo, it blocks them.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Funny thing is, I remember my grandparents doing just that, but would break out the Izal if they had posh visitors. Of course, they used to get the Daily Mirror, which was presumably a better quality of toilet paper than the Mail. Never heard of blockages then. But their outside toilet had a tank near the ceiling so plenty of head of water. A long chain with a pear shaped handle was used to operate the monster.

Top Bottom