The Giro on TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nevertheless the fact that you seem to criticise everyone for doing something different to yourself; [...]
Now hang on a minute. You asked "what's not to like", so don't blame me for answering. If you can't bear to read other views of your crushes at GCN, maybe don't ask for them in future. It was absolutely not posted as criticism of anyone.

The rest of your personal attack seems off topic to me so I just reject it all bluntly and generally as as inaccurate as it is.

Now hang on a minute. You asked "what's not to like", so don't blame me for answering. If you can't bear to read other views of your crushes at GCN, maybe don't ask for them in future. It was absolutely not posted as criticism of anyone.

The rest of your personal attack seems off topic to me so I just reject it all bluntly and generally as as inaccurate as it is.
C'mon guys.. there's a grande tour on its way ^_^

Reactions: mjr

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My brother has just invested in GCN+.

He's no techie, but easily got it up and running on his Macbook, and playing through his telly via a lead.

Not sure what he paid as a late in the season starter, but whatever, £20 or £40, it's good value for lots of live ad-free cycling.

Anyone moaning about is
deliberately being provocative and cantankerous.

Thinking about it, I might ask brother if we can, er, share his subscription.

Adam4868

Guru
My brother has just invested in GCN+.

He's no techie, but easily got it up and running on his Macbook, and playing through his telly via a lead.

Not sure what he paid as a late in the season starter, but whatever, £20 or £40, it's good value for lots of live ad-free cycling.

Anyone moaning about is

Thinking about it, I might ask brother if we can, er, share his subscription.
Forty quid ! I'd want someone to serve me drinks and nibbles for that !

Adam4868

Guru
So no-one else here thinks cycle racing should be free to watch to attract new fans? :sad:
I think every sport should be free....but 20 quid a year isn't far off.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So no-one else here thinks cycle racing should be free to watch to attract new fans? :sad:

On t'other and, it may be a good thing for a relatively poor sport that the telly rights are increasing in value.

Eurosport/GCN will keep some of the subscription money as income, but I think it's fair to assume the rights holder - UCI? - will also be getting some of it.

I have Eurosport via Sky, but I'm guessing most GCN+ customers will be happy to pay some money into the sport.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
On t'other and, it may be a good thing for a relatively poor sport that the telly rights are increasing in value.

Eurosport/GCN will keep some of the subscription money as income, but I think it's fair to assume the rights holder - UCI? - will also be getting some of it.

I have Eurosport via Sky, but I'm guessing most GCN+ customers will be happy to pay some money into the sport.
as its the same feed as eurosport in fact if you watch it on sky it does say gcn on every add break so im guessing gcn are under the same umbrella and pay sky for the feed .
For me it works as i can watch the cycling on the laptop whilst whoever has absconded with the TV

Anyway as long as we can watch it wherever you can as long as your happy i cant see what the debate ongoing is about :smile: I used to record highlights from sky but half the time you end up with another sport :sad:

mjr

I am unsure. I look at sports like Premiership football (European Super League?), F1 motor racing and US Major sports and see a road I am unsure I want cycling to head down. Do you?

Famously, the rights holders are race organisers like RCS (in this case), ASO, flanders classics and so on, and only a few pay UCI or teams much, with massive power struggles in the past. As well as the World Cup, ProTour and WorldTour changes over years, that contributed to the formation of the teams-owned Velon and its races, and UCI's attempt to become a race organiser with Tour of Beijing. Do we know if UCI gets any Giro TV money now?

mjr

as its the same feed as eurosport in fact if you watch it on sky it does say gcn on every add break so im guessing gcn are under the same umbrella and pay sky for the feed .
I think it is far more likely that there is some deal between Eurosport's owner Discovery and GCN for branding and presentation, which also appears on non-Sky Eurosport channels, then Sky buy from Discovery. Discovery also own Quest which is part of why highlights ended up there.

I agree completely that E1's EPG is a shambles, leading to recordings often going a bit wrong. At least Quest tends to show things when advertised.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As well as my dislike of GCN, there is literally no point twice over: 1. I have E1 and Quest already, available to all my mobile devices and TVs; 2. GCN doesn't work on my devices or TVs. They said last year it would be on TVs "hopefully before 2021 season starts":

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/biciorejon/status/1284886021964996609/

but it is still only a Google (not even all Android, contrary to claim)/Apple store app: https://help.globalcyclingnetwork.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360011992559-Supported-devices-and-browsers

I'll spend that 20 on some nice drinks while I watch! :cheers:

You do know that tweet is from ages ago and GCN+ is supported on a lot more devices now?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
ously, the rights holders are race organisers like RCS (in this case), ASO, flanders classics and so on, and only a few pay UCI or teams much,

Fair enough.

I reckon the rights holders sell to the likes of Eurosport and GCN, probably getting a bit more money if the content is to be broadcast on both platforms.

I'm aware the deal for the classics was only struck late in the day because the Eurosport presenters said so when they announced there would be coverage on Eurosport/GCN this season.

Cycling going the way of the Premiership may be a concern, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon, if at all.

It's such a minority sport, so my view is getting a little extra money from the telly/streaming companies is a good thing for professional cycling.

Top Bottom