The Gods of Mount Olympus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
i think most of us will live lower than that, cos most of our UK towns/cities are by/near rivers. I tried to confirm this with some actual facts. Google gave this bizarre result:

The 10 highest English cities
  • Stoke-on-Trent - 275.9m.
  • Birmingham - 246.6m.
  • Bath - 229.9m.
  • Leeds - 198m.
  • Wolverhampton - 175.9m.
  • Plymouth - 167.8m.
  • Coventry - 161.8m.
  • Brighton - 155.6m.
Really? Brighton???
https://www.google.com/search?q=hig...hUKEwixvses_9DwAhUCDmMBHZn3BuAQ4dUDCA4&uact=5
I thought that must be wrong so I just checked Birmingham on my Memory Map software. It is definitely wrong in the main part of the city, but out towards the SW, the boundary extends to Longbridge, bordering the Lickey Hills, where it IS that high.

I know where it will be for Coventry... The NW boundary of the city must be somewhere on the Tamworth Road, heading for Corley. That is much higher than the rest of the city. I used to cycle up there as a child. Here you go...

Those elevations must be single points within city/town boundaries.

The lowest point here is a few metres below me at around 125 metres. There must be places on the steep local hillsides at nearer 300 metres.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
About 40m above sea level

52 ft
Where I grew up is at 42 ft - which was a surprise because when we needed a grant my Dad researched the date the house was built - and discovered that it was one of the lowest in the area when it was built and was only just above the highest recorded tide line!

figbat

Slippery scientist
According to the OS map I’m at 113m. This is at the top of a small hill so flooding is not a worry, unlike those unfortunates down in the village at 105m who have suffered groundwater and sewer flooding in the past. The nearest high spot is at 205m, about 3km away.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
30ft. As a precaution, I wear swimming trunks under my jeans.

<snip>
Those elevations must be single points within city/town boundaries.

The lowest point here is a few metres below me at around 125 metres. There must be places on the steep local hillsides at nearer 300 metres.
Aha - yes, that could make sense! (Brighton has some big hills just a mile-or-so inland - don't know the other cities very well).

I'd like a list of high large settlements where lots of people actually live, but not sure I can be arsed to fight google on this one. It did confirm that Flash!* in Staffs is the highest UK town, but that's not very populous!

*, a aaaa ahhhhh!

Top Bottom