The Grumpiest Audaxer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
more the latter methinks

Rhythm Thief said:
Riding alone is one thing - I used to enjoy being on my own in Audax events - but being downright rude to someone who tries to pass the time of day is quite another. As Arch says, maybe he's a little autistic. Or maybe he's just a miserable bastard.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Apart from anything else, it's so much harder alone. When I did the Leap into the Aire last weekend, I quickly got left behind at the beginning, and found the first part really hard. After the first control, there were more riders around me (ok, they were from the longer ride that started earlier, not from my ride so much), and I really think it made a difference, even when they were only just in sight ahead of me.

Maybe he prefered to make it hard for himself.

OP
OP
Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
I suddenly recalled an experience from one our audax event organisers within my club.

A participant sent a vitriolic letter of complaint to the organiser stating that the event was one of the worst he had ever entered. And the reason......

......the riders in his group and fellow club mates had ridden off without him whilst he had stopped for a pee. He continued to complain that this was not in the audax spirit and that the organisers were responsible for 'allowing this to happen'. People were riding too fast to care.

He received a sharp response from the organiser pointing out that nobody had arrived at the controls too early and that audaxers were responsible for themselves as individuals. In all fairness, the complainent then apologised.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Philip Whiteman said:
......the riders in his group and fellow club mates had ridden off without him whilst he had stopped for a pee. He continued to complain that this was not in the audax spirit and that the organisers were responsible for 'allowing this to happen'. People were riding too fast to care.

I thought the Audax spirit was self sufficiency....:becool:

(this from someone with one Audax under her belt, I admit)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
GregCollins said:
cycling isn't normally a team pursuit (boom boom)

There's a huge difference between riding in a friendly group, sharing a bit of the work, and a pursuit line.

To be fair, I've ridden both in audax rides.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Arch said:
There are some people from all parts of the autistic spectrum in cycling, as in any activity, but there do seem to be a fair share of people who can't interact with other humans...

You think that's bad??

Come along to a big railway event and you'll see them ALL!! :evil:

I remember being at an open day at Crewe a few years back with my folks and at the end my Dad said

'I don't think I've ever seen so many odd looking people in my life'.
And he was right!

Unfortunately people think that we are all like that so being into railways suddenly becomes sad and we are all obsessive trainspotters, which is a load of Class 1 Grade A, Premium Dog Sh*te!!

Boy how retarded Human kind really is, and it's not just idiot car drivers either!

jimboalee

Mad Doug Biker said:
You think that's bad??

Come along to a big railway event and you'll see them ALL!! :wacko:

I remember being at an open day at Crewe a few years back with my folks and at the end my Dad said

'I don't think I've ever seen so many odd looking people in my life'.
And he was right!

Unfortunately people think that we are all like that so being into railways suddenly becomes sad and we are all obsessive trainspotters, which is a load of Class 1 Grade A, Premium Dog Sh*te!!

Boy how retarded Human kind really is, and it's not just idiot car drivers either!

You think that's bad??

Come along to a big MODEL railway event... and you won't need to go anywhere else....

yello

Philip Whiteman said:
"I want to ride by myself, go away".

Oh I don't know. I have some sympathies/understanding for the man. I'm certainly not going to be critical of him. It could have been an off day for him, for any number of reasons. Maybe the bike was an ideal way for him to get away from it all. She-it, he may just prefer to ride alone. No crime in that. I know I often do.

These days, I do so much riding alone (there being no regular audaxes within reach around here) that I am well used to solitude, look forward to it and actually now find it difficult to ride with others.

I can appreciate the mindset of wanting to do it yourself too. I know it's harder riding alone into the wind but sometimes I want that challenge. I don't mean this exactly but, for me, riding in a group is something akin to cheating!

Yes, the chap could have been more polite in his response but he quickly conveyed his message and achieved the desired effect. As I say, perhaps it was a bad day so give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides he didn't, after all, ask you to speak to him :wacko:;):biggrin:

Oh, I used to go to model railway club meetings too. Perhaps that explains everything! :laugh:

ASC1951

Guru
Arch said:
There are some people from all parts of the autistic spectrum in cycling, as in any activity, but there do seem to be a fair share of people who can't interact with other humans...
Hang on, I know this one...

It's trialthletes!

dodgy

Tim Bennet. said:
Trialthletes? WTF's a trialthlete?

Or is this another example of the the piss poor spelling from a 'graduate' of some modern day crummy comprehensive and re-branded polytechnic?

Careful.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
jimboalee said:
You think that's bad??

Come along to a big MODEL railway event... and you won't need to go anywhere else....

Been there, done that, got the t - shirt, flag and amusing novelty hat.

Open days are WORSE, believe me!!

Of course, I have come across some right t*ssers at Diesel Galas before too, including one guy who was removing lightbulbs from a Mk 1 and throwing them out of the drop light as the train was moving, much to the moronic amusement and gesticulation of his friend.

A Diesel Group volunteer who is built like a brick sh*thouse saw them and followed the pair, muttering something about how much work and money had gone into keeping the railway going and that these ****s were ruining it.

I never saw the pair ever again after that (probably thrown under one of the trains and then used as meat for pies in the cafe).

Arch

Married to Night Train
My late boyfriend was involved with a steam restoration project, and worked a few times as a steward on steam specials. On one, he came across a guy who was sticking a bit of paper out of the window. Asked why, he said he collected smuts from each loco he travelled behind, and kept them in an album....

Top Bottom