The Grumpiest Audaxer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Maybe someone needs to organise an audax which only stops at cafes frequented by railway enthusiasts....:laugh:

jimboalee

Fab Foodie said:
The Nerds Halt?

Can do that.

Tyseley Railway Museum - Bridgenorth Severn Valley Railway - Shackerstone Battlefield Line - Tyseley.

INFO control at Bournville Station. "What colour are the handrails painted?"

Arch said:
My late boyfriend was involved with a steam restoration project, and worked a few times as a steward on steam specials. On one, he came across a guy who was sticking a bit of paper out of the window. Asked why, he said he collected smuts from each loco he travelled behind, and kept them in an album....

That's actually scary. And I speak as someone who can tell you what Caprotti valve gear is.:smile:

jimboalee

The INFO control has been changed.
It is now at Kidderminster Town SVR station.

The question is...

"Which GWR station is Kidderminster Town station modelled on?"

Rythym Thief should be able to answer this, as he is from ROSS ON WYE.

OP
OP
Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
That's actually scary. And I speak as someone who can tell you what Caprotti valve gear is.;)

What a load of Walschaerts.

There seems to be a rather concerning theme developing in this thread - from audaxers to heritage railways.

So here are my cards, I used to be the C&W Chief Examiner for the Kent and East Sussex Rly. In other words a glorified wheel tapper.

That was in the days I rode a Peer Gynt recumbent.

........I'll get my coat (anorak).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
oi woz wonze a foireman on the Bluebell.

Fiona N

Veteran
Noodley said:
Maybe someone needs to organise an audax which only stops at cafes frequented by railway enthusiasts....;)

Well, Spring in the Dales (and possibly Leap in the Aire) must have come close in Keighley as to the best of my knowledge the route goes past Keighley & Worth Valley Railway station at the bottom of the big hill :biggrin:

Oh and I forgot to say, it goes to Haworth and Oxenhope too - more Railway cafe potential.

Greenbank

Über Member
jimboalee said:
The INFO control has been changed.
It is now at Kidderminster Town SVR station.

The question is...

"Which GWR station is Kidderminster Town station modelled on?"

I've always seen the other station when going through Kiddy Station (for the Elenith). I've always been utterly knackered on the Sunday morning going back though, and no intention of doing anything other than dribbling on myself on the way back to London.

Noodley

The info controls should be set so that they cannot be answered unless there is some dialogue between the audaxeer and the trainspotteer....cue uncomfortable mumbling and shuffling around cafes - and lots of DNFers ;)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
GregCollins said:
oi woz wonze a foireman on the Bluebell.

Had lovely training rides (ahem) down that way as part of my pre-LEL warm up. I recall trying to sell the route to a (somewhat younger) colleague at the time:

Me. How about this? A good 60 mile loop with a good chance of seeing a steam engine in the middle.
He: What?
Me: Steam engine? You know? Choo choo? Pish-te-kopf pish-te-kopf...
He: Why?
Me: Choo choo... Oh. Ok.

Fortunately, I've got Tunk forcefed on old reruns of Thomas and Friends (Pre CGI only). This is my investment for a happy retirement.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fiona N said:
Well, Spring in the Dales (and possibly Leap in the Aire) must have come close in Keighley as to the best of my knowledge the route goes past Keighley & Worth Valley Railway station at the bottom of the big hill :evil:

Oh and I forgot to say, it goes to Haworth and Oxenhope too - more Railway cafe potential.
It goes through Oxenhope on the way out and coming back but it doesn't go past the station. Mind you, it gets within about 150 metres of it on the return leg.

The closest we got to Keighley station was about 500 metres away.

SITD passes along Haworth Brow rather than dropping down into the main part of Haworth where the station is. If you went down to take a look at the steam trains you'd have to climb back up again afterwards.

Top Bottom