The Helmet debate to end all helmet debates

Did vikings have horns in their helmets

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fashion hasn't changed.....

Cave woman:

MFOne-Million-Years-BC--C10101932.jpe

Modern woman

bg006-bikini-halle.jpg

Brains

Legendary Member
You are all missing the point !

As a Viking, was there a legal reason, when figting in the UK to wear a helmet ?
Which side of the fence were the VTC (Viking Touring Club) on this ?
Did a helmet really save lives or was it just one of those things that Daily Parchment readers thought all Viking should wear ?

Personally I always wear my helmet (with Horns) when in the UK, but back home in Denmark, none of us do.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Far from being horns, they are in fact an early form of external speaker for the Vikings' i-pods. Many of them argued that listening to music reduced the monotony of the daily grind of rape and pillage and actually increased their skills.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Of course they had Horns on their helmets. Where else could they hang their smalls out to dry?

You are all missing the point !

As a Viking, was there a legal reason, when figting in the UK to wear a helmet ?
Which side of the fence were the VTC (Viking Touring Club) on this ?
Did a helmet really save lives or was it just one of those things that Daily Parchment readers thought all Viking should wear ?

Personally I always wear my helmet (with Horns) when in the UK, but back home in Denmark, none of us do.

You need Nogin Sox

Covers for cycle helmets...

386_NogginSox.gif

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

snorri

Legendary Member
Oh don't go opening this old chestnut again, many a long night was spent in the longhouse discussing this prickly issue in the pre internet forum days.
I thought this one was dead and buried with the advent of diesel engined longships.
In pre diesel days the pro lobby argued the need for helmets in order to provide some degree of protection in the event of main halyard failure which of course caused the yard to come crashing down into the boat with little warning. The anti-lobby meantime preached in favour of regular inspection and maintenance/replacement of running rigging in order to prevent such accidents in the first place and pointed out the risks should a helmet wearer fall overboard when the extra helmet weight would cause the helmet wearer to float lower in the water increasing the risk of inhaling saltwater through mouth and nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom