The heritage of pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Looks like I missed all the fun then. :smile:

Unfortunately the heritage is aslo being eroded in other ways.

Pub signs were a combination of traditional names, local history, culture and moral tales

When Greene King decided to remove all its pub signs for a generic company log this was a direct attack on the history

The other problem is the PC Brigade

There was a pub near here called the "Black Boy" and the sign showed a mother scrubbing a black child.

It was considered offensive and removed

The true story was a moral tale of infidelity about a Naval wife who has an affair with a coloured sailor whilst her husband is at sea. The picture is a vain attempt (The "Labour in vain" pubs sometimes have similar) to hide her sins..... a warning to others not to follow her example

We need to look at these traditions and keep them

ah, I well remember the old Eagle and Child sign in Hurst Green as a kid. Somewhat alarming - baby being snatched in the talons of an eagle I seem to remember. Last time I was that way they had prettied it up to something like a pic of an eagle suckling a grateful baby. I seem to remember Vespa-ing past a pub called the Headless Woman on one of the back roads to Brighton - I seem to remember that that sign, and maybe the name as well, fell foul of the censors. I'm pretty politically correct myself but think that sort of stuff barmy.

Top Bottom