The heritage of pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
yes! Which reminds me, I moved to catford, deep se London in the summer and there's a great pub called the Blythe Hill Tavern, not posh but old school Irish...staff in pressed white shirts and black ties, nothing too much trouble and Guinness to the table.
I like the Blythe Hill. Not so sure they'll like being told they're in Catford (Forest Hill, don'cha know?)^_^

It's on that weird stretch of the South Circular where nothing much exists. Ace pub though, have to take a trip there soon, not been for yonks.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I like the Blythe Hill. Not so sure they'll like being told they're in Catford (Forest Hill, don'cha know?)^_^

It's on that weird stretch of the South Circular where nothing much exists. Ace pub though, have to take a trip there soon, not been for yonks.
Nah it's closer to Catford. There are probably some who will say it's actually in Blythe Hill though.

Dec66

Nah it's closer to Catford. There are probably some who will say it's actually in Blythe Hill though.
Their website begs to differ...

"...one of London's Real Heritage Pubs, located in Forest Hill, South East London".

It's postcode is SE23 1JB, squeaking into Forest Hill by a whisker.

Nearer to Catford's stations, though, I grant you. Who cares, it's an ace pub regardless.

Dec66

On my last visit I took my boss into Yates on Queens Square for a laugh. You should have seen his face. And then when the karaoke started, I almost wet myself just on his reaction

He'd have loved the Western Approaches on the Crocky/Noggsy border. "Not for the faint hearted", is the best way to describe it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
A nice little pub out radlet way, to far away to be our local but a lovely little pub,
http://www.catandfiddleradlett.co.uk/gallery/
That's the pub some yob came out of and tried to intimidate me and @redjedi with his pathetic driving skills one Sunday afternoon a few years back.

Dec66

I always thought the White Star was the pub in Lime St station.
Nope... The one actually on the station concourse is a new Spoons called The North Western, which is beautifully done.

The one next door is The Crown, aka "The Little House" (as opposed to The Vines, "The Big House", further down Lime Street by The Adeplhi).

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Nope... The one actually on the station concourse is a new Spoons called The North Western, which is beautifully done.

The one next door is The Crown, aka "The Little House" (as opposed to The Vines, "The Big House", further down Lime Street by The Adeplhi).
Yep been in those two although last time I was in the Vines, they seemed to have lost a lot of their furniture, it was really weird just high tables in big empty rooms.

What was the pub in Lime Street Station called before they refurbed the station a few years ago? Used to be upstairs towards the southern end of the platforms

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The Cumberland is a cracking wee place, literally!

The Tyne Bar down there is also an excellent boozer. Sadly there are flats being built on the 'wasteland' on the bank there and complaints/concerns have been raised about their archway based stage. Taking live music away from the place would rip it's heart out.

That's very sad. The Tyne isn't my favourite place for a drink, but for the music, absolutely it is important.

Dec66

Yep been in those two although last time I was in the Vines, they seemed to have lost a lot of their furniture, it was really weird just high tables in big empty rooms.

What was the pub in Lime Street Station called before they refurbed the station a few years ago? Used to be upstairs towards the southern end of the platforms
You know, you're right... I knew that as Coopers, it changed to the White Star a couple of years ago apparently. The one we were on about earlier is in Rainford Gardens, off Whitechapel and near Mathew Street.

Top Bottom