The heritage of pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

NO - not the tacky plastic-pretend ones.

Prompted by this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35031879.

And finding a true gem of a pub in Halifax the other week. Doesn't look much from the outside.

But inside? Just wow! Somehow squeezed in (sounds like it's cramped, but it is not) - an octagonal central hall, and separate rooms, each with its own unique art-deco character. http://www.ossett-brewery.co.uk/pubs/three-pigeons-halifax

And the beer's superb. :hugs:
Are you sure your a Muslim?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The Crown Posada in Newcastle is one of my favourites. Well worth a visit if you're ever visiting.

If you're lucky the gramophone will be on so you can catch up on all the popular hits from WW2.

It is nice although almost always packed and difficult to navigate because it's so narrow.
crown-posada2-NGI.jpg

I also used to go to The Bridge Hotel, but I'm told its interiors are not original:
Bridge_Hotel_8482-w768.jpg

But I prefer my pubs basic in decor but with great beer and people. My favourite pubs were all in the Ouseburn, on the edge of Byker, in particular The Cumberland Arms - no nonsense with beers, ciders and perries from the barrel, wooden floors, games and folk sessions...
Front-Bar-view-from-corner-850x478.jpg

and The Free Trade:
Free%20Trade_7876-w768.jpg

And also out in Wylam, The Boathouse, which conveniently is right next to the railway station. It isn't beautiful inside, but it's mainly notable for being the brewery tap for the excellent little Wylam Brewery:
nr40_126aw.jpg

Attachments

• crown-posada2-NGI.jpg
    crown-posada2-NGI.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Bridge_Hotel_8482-w768.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Free%20Trade_7876-w768.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Front-Bar-view-from-corner-850x478.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 187

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used to love pubs before the smoking ban, nowadays they all stink of stale beer and wee. For the price of a pint I can get a half decent bottle of 'plonk' and as for 'gastropubs' and 'family pubs' xx( words fail me. :cursing:
The only time I seriously regretted fatherhood was when I shown into a "Family Room" of a family friendly pub on The Lizard in Cornwall. Some of the inmates looked ecstatic, but a few of us were gazing into space wistfully remembering a fog of tobacco smoke.....and no bloody kids.

classic33

Leg End Member
Halifax has some great pubs. The Gundog is another multi-room old fashioned pub with great ber that's worth a look
And in Leeds there is The Adelphi, or even better The Victoria Hotel behind the Town Hall.
Recent name change, Sporting Life before that. Innards ripped out in recent revamp of the interior.

Went to school with the owner's son in the 70's.

AndyRM

XOXO
It is nice although almost always packed and difficult to navigate because it's so narrow.
crown-posada2-NGI.jpg

I also used to go to The Bridge Hotel, but I'm told its interiors are not original:

But I prefer my pubs basic in decor but with great beer and people. My favourite pubs were all in the Ouseburn, on the edge of Byker, in particular The Cumberland Arms - no nonsense with beers, ciders and perries from the barrel, wooden floors, games and folk sessions...

and The Free Trade:

And also out in Wylam, The Boathouse, which conveniently is right next to the railway station. It isn't beautiful inside, but it's mainly notable for being the brewery tap for the excellent little Wylam Brewery:
nr40_126aw.jpg

The Cumberland is a cracking wee place, literally!

The Tyne Bar down there is also an excellent boozer. Sadly there are flats being built on the 'wasteland' on the bank there and complaints/concerns have been raised about their archway based stage. Taking live music away from the place would rip it's heart out.

Attachments

• crown-posada2-NGI.jpg
    crown-posada2-NGI.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Free%20Trade_7876-w768.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Front-Bar-view-from-corner-850x478.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Bridge_Hotel_8482-w768.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 34

martint235

Dog on a bike
Unfortunately not all the boozers like that!
Still few good old pubs dotted about but plenty of identikit chain pubs like everywhere else.
The last time I was in Liverpool, I chanced upon the Roscoe Head as I was heading for the Philarmonic. A charming little pub with very friendly staff. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the inside. It certainly wouldn't win "World's Longest Bar" though!! :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
NO - not the tacky plastic-pretend ones.

Prompted by this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35031879.

And finding a true gem of a pub in Halifax the other week. Doesn't look much from the outside.

But inside? Just wow! Somehow squeezed in (sounds like it's cramped, but it is not) - an octagonal central hall, and separate rooms, each with its own unique art-deco character. http://www.ossett-brewery.co.uk/pubs/three-pigeons-halifax

And the beer's superb. :hugs:
Not enough Formica for my liking ....

RedRider

Pulling through
The last time I was in Liverpool, I chanced upon the Roscoe Head as I was heading for the Philarmonic. A charming little pub with very friendly staff. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the inside. It certainly wouldn't win "World's Longest Bar" though!! :smile:
That's one of the best, can't help but be friendly with the person next to you. I think it has the distinction of being the only place to make every edition of the camra good pub guide as well.
Fly in the Loaf, formerly kirklands 'bistro' is a fab modern conversion, great manager.
Feel like breaking into a version of I Wish I Was in Liverpool, not enough peroxide curls around here!

Brandane

Legendary Member
According to the Guinness Book of Records, the longest pub bar in the UK is in the Falcon Pub in London...
According to the pub's website.....

Welcome to The Horseshoe Bar
Excellent value pub in Glasgow
Few pubs in Glasgow are as big on value and service as The Horseshoe At 104 feet and three inches, our grand Victorian bar is apparently the longest in Europe and merits an architectural listing all of its own.
Maybe it's just the longest in Scotland, or the longest in Glasgow. Perhaps just the longest in Drury Street. Whatever; it's long!

Last edited:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
The Horseshoe Bar, Glasgow:
Claims to fame:
  • The longest bar counter in the UK.
  • Travis used to do jam sessions here.
  • Cheapest pint in Glasgow.
  • Very cheap meals (if you don't mind school dinners style dining!).
Wish they would get rid of all the TV screens dotted around the walls, but otherwise a good old fashioned Glasgow drinking den.

dsc02224.jpg

Whisky connoisseurs might prefer the Pot Still, 5 minutes walk away (and no TV, yayy :okay:):
(spell check trying to tell me I'm spelling whisky incorrectly, grrrr :angry:).

20150528__20150531_E9_TR31TRWHISKY~p1.jpg
I used to go in there when I lived and worked in Glasgow for their "three course lunch" (packet soup in a little bowl, mutton pie, chips and beans, ice cream with strawberry sauce on top).

£2.80 (in 2000).

Guinness was lovely too.

Attachments

• dsc02224.jpg
    dsc02224.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20150528__20150531_E9_TR31TRWHISKY~p1.jpg
    20150528__20150531_E9_TR31TRWHISKY~p1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 38

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
If you're ever knocking about in Beckenham, you can do a lot worse than to take a small detour slightly outside the town centre to The Jolly Woodman on Chancery Lane.

The nearest thing to an Irish country pub I've found in Britain (that's "Irish" as opposed to "Oirish", no bikes hanging from the ceiling there).

Top Bottom