The heritage of pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Well done that man,I remember well the pubs and the offlicence,though I never was able to drink in the pubs...much too young! Its just been pointed out to me that unless I want to be barred,I really ought to mention The Kings Head(ask for The Napper)to folk.So I have...superb beer,especially if you like a pint of Yates.:rolleyes:
I'm not that fussed on the Napper since it was tarted up a year or so ago. It just seems too bright. I think they removed all that fag smoke patina that was built up over the decades.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I used to love pubs before the smoking ban, nowadays they all stink of stale beer and wee. For the price of a pint I can get a half decent bottle of 'plonk' and as for 'gastropubs' and 'family pubs' xx( words fail me. :cursing:

Brandane

Legendary Member
The Horseshoe Bar, Glasgow:
Claims to fame:
  • The longest bar counter in the UK.
  • Travis used to do jam sessions here.
  • Cheapest pint in Glasgow.
  • Very cheap meals (if you don't mind school dinners style dining!).
Wish they would get rid of all the TV screens dotted around the walls, but otherwise a good old fashioned Glasgow drinking den.

dsc02224.jpg

Whisky connoisseurs might prefer the Pot Still, 5 minutes walk away (and no TV, yayy :okay: . Edit - apart from that one above the door which I've never noticed before! At least it's not intrusive):
(spell check trying to tell me I'm spelling whisky incorrectly, grrrr :angry:).

20150528__20150531_E9_TR31TRWHISKY~p1.jpg

Attachments

• dsc02224.jpg
    dsc02224.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20150528__20150531_E9_TR31TRWHISKY~p1.jpg
    20150528__20150531_E9_TR31TRWHISKY~p1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
NO - not the tacky plastic-pretend ones.

Prompted by this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35031879.

And finding a true gem of a pub in Halifax the other week. Doesn't look much from the outside.

But inside? Just wow! Somehow squeezed in (sounds like it's cramped, but it is not) - an octagonal central hall, and separate rooms, each with its own unique art-deco character. http://www.ossett-brewery.co.uk/pubs/three-pigeons-halifax

And the beer's superb. :hugs:

Halifax has some great pubs. The Gundog is another multi-room old fashioned pub with great ber that's worth a look
And in Leeds there is The Adelphi, or even better The Victoria Hotel behind the Town Hall.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never been to Liverpool. Those photos have me wanting to jump on a train tomorrow; those types of pubs are best visited on a cold winters evening!
Unfortunately not all the boozers like that!
Still few good old pubs dotted about but plenty of identikit chain pubs like everywhere else.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Leeds' hidden gem is The Garden Gate in Hunslet. I remember visiting it as part of an extended pub crawl through Hunslet and and East End Park back in the late seventies. All the Tetleys pubs over that side of Leeds served consistently excellent pints of Tetleys bitter and there was a plethora of pubs within staggering distance of each other.

The Garden Gate stood out as being the most ornate and best kept pub on the circuit. The gents toilets had copper and brass plumbing that was polished to a mirror finish. I assumed that it had perished with the dismantling of the tied pub estates and redevelopment but it still survives and is owned by Leeds Brewery.

0102.jpg

6297619457_fbf07df0d2_b.jpg

Garden-Gate-1.jpg

Attachments

• 0102.jpg
    0102.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 6297619457_fbf07df0d2_b.jpg
    6297619457_fbf07df0d2_b.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Garden-Gate-1.jpg
    Garden-Gate-1.jpg