The heritage of pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
That's one of the best, can't help but be friendly with the person next to you. I think it has the distinction of being the only place to make every edition of the camra good pub guide as well.
Fly in the Loaf, formerly kirklands 'bistro' is a fab modern conversion, great manager.
Feel like breaking into a version of I Wish I Was in Liverpool, not enough peroxide curls around here!
Loads of ace "awl arse" pubs over that end of town, such as The Grapes (Roscoe Street), The Dispensary, Ye Cracke, The Pilgrim... In fact there's shed loads of them all over town.

I'm getting homesick now.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If you're ever knocking about in Beckenham, you can do a lot worse than to take a small detour slightly outside the town centre to The Jolly Woodman on Chancery Lane.

The nearest thing to an Irish country pub I've found in Britain (that's "Irish" as opposed to "Oirish", no bikes hanging from the ceiling there).
If you're ever knocking about in Beckenham you can do a lot worse than leave quickly!!!*

*Sorry I'm very biased against Beckenham as it's related to two nobbers in my cycling life.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
If you're ever knocking about in Beckenham you can do a lot worse than leave quickly!!!*

*Sorry I'm very biased against Beckenham as it's related to two nobbers in my cycling life.
Make it three, I lived there until two years ago :laugh:

I really like Beckenham, and found it refreshingly nobber free. Maybe I was just lucky!

RedRider

Pulling through
Loads of ace "awl arse" pubs over that end of town, such as The Grapes (Roscoe Street), The Dispensary, Ye Cracke, The Pilgrim... In fact there's shed loads of them all over town.

All good those. My favourite is a bit out of town... The Volunteer Canteen (Volly) in Waterloo... Great local and perfect place to warm up for people visiting Another Place on the beach.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
bar.jpg

220px-Old_Mitre_Inn%2C_Chipping_Barnet.JPG

This is my pub of choice, The Mitre in Barnet. This pub has stood here since 1636 although it has changed somewhat since then.

Attachments

• bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 220px-Old_Mitre_Inn%2C_Chipping_Barnet.JPG
    220px-Old_Mitre_Inn%2C_Chipping_Barnet.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 12
All good those. My favourite is a bit out of town... The Volunteer Canteen (Volly) in Waterloo... Great local and perfect place to warm up for people visiting Another Place on the beach.
The Crows Nest on College Rd is a cracker. Nice beers and wood paneling with the old bells you could ring for table service (posh in Crosby!)

Would recommend any visitors to Liverpool city centre to partake of a bevy or two in The Blob Shop or The Penny Farthing.
Just make sure your happy with your last will and testament!

classic33

Leg End Member
Would recommend any visitors to Liverpool city centre to partake of a bevy or two in The Blob Shop or The Penny Farthing.
Just make sure your happy with your last will and testament!
Booze that bad!

RedRider

Pulling through
The Crows Nest on College Rd is a cracker. Nice beers and wood paneling with the old bells you could ring for table service (posh in Crosby!)
yes! Which reminds me, I moved to catford, deep se London in the summer and there's a great pub called the Blythe Hill Tavern, not posh but old school Irish...staff in pressed white shirts and black ties, nothing too much trouble and Guinness to the table.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Leeds' hidden gem is The Garden Gate in Hunslet. I remember visiting it as part of an extended pub crawl through Hunslet and and East End Park back in the late seventies. All the Tetleys pubs over that side of Leeds served consistently excellent pints of Tetleys bitter and there was a plethora of pubs within staggering distance of each other.

The Garden Gate stood out as being the most ornate and best kept pub on the circuit. The gents toilets had copper and brass plumbing that was polished to a mirror finish. I assumed that it had perished with the dismantling of the tied pub estates and redevelopment but it still survives and is owned by Leeds Brewery.

0102.jpg

6297619457_fbf07df0d2_b.jpg

Garden-Gate-1.jpg
What a place!

martint235

Dog on a bike
yes! Which reminds me, I moved to catford, deep se London in the summer and there's a great pub called the Blythe Hill Tavern, not posh but old school Irish...staff in pressed white shirts and black ties, nothing too much trouble and Guinness to the table.
That brings back memories although it's many, many years since I was in there.

In Liverpool I always tend to head for Thomas Rigby's too on Dale St. SWMBO quite likes it. On my last visit I took my boss into Yates on Queens Square for a laugh. You should have seen his face. And then when the karaoke started, I almost wet myself just on his reaction.

Top Bottom