The Hesitant Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Sounds like you know your wife well enough to be good company on rides, and so you should.
Mr6 sometimes crosses the line between encouraging and patronising without realising. I quite often tell him to wait at the top of the hill just to avoid his encouragement.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I see you're not far from me. Do you know about the new cafe in the park at Blyth? It's supposed to be good. Might be worth a visit - the new route down the riverside into Blyth is nice.

And do you know of Watbike? They're in Ashington and run organised rides with transport in one direction - so a ride out into the Northumberland countryside, pub/cafe stop and then bus back. I've never managed to go out with them but they're a nice bunch.

Three miles is a nice commute - should be doable in all but the worst weather. I hope your wife enjoys her new job!

OP
OP
thetribe

thetribe

Über Member
I see you're not far from me. Do you know about the new cafe in the park at Blyth? It's supposed to be good. Might be worth a visit - the new route down the riverside into Blyth is nice.

And do you know of Watbike? They're in Ashington and run organised rides with transport in one direction - so a ride out into the Northumberland countryside, pub/cafe stop and then bus back. I've never managed to go out with them but they're a nice bunch.

Three miles is a nice commute - should be doable in all but the worst weather. I hope your wife enjoys her new job!
I've heard of the new cafe but nothing about how good it is. Will check it out, thanks :smile:

Yes, heard about WATbike but never been out with them.

OP
OP
thetribe

thetribe

Über Member
Well, she really meant business today and got dressed to ride her bike, she decided that as she was now dressed appropriately she wanted to go back and check out the Cube again as she really fell in love with it and wanted to give it another chance. Well after chatting to the lady in the store and having the bike adjusted for her she headed out into the street to test ride it, she loved it and it felt so comfortable and right for her. Can't thank the lady at Cycle Centre in Newcastle (http://www.cyclecentreuk.co.uk/) enough for her patience and help (I know it's her job but you wouldn't believe the amount of assistants at other shops who have just popped a bike in front of her and said 'give it a go' and wandered off) When she asked when she could take it away and the woman said you can have it now (after it was fully checked out anyway) you couldn't stop her smiling.
CubeTouring.jpg
Cube Touring

Following a frantic call to her dad as we couldn't fit it in our car we got it home.

After a celebratory lunch we decided to head out for a short blast, I'd already planned to go out today so we decided her first ride would be a 5 mile loop then I'd leave her to head the last few hundred yards up home while I turned off and completed my last few miles to hit my January target. 1.5 miles and 8 minutes into a massive smile inducing ride we heard a CLACK CLACK noise, when she stopped it looked like there was half a hedge attached to her front wheel and it was hitting the mudguard, removing the vegetation all we heard was a dreaded HISSSSSSSS, yup, it was a huge thorn that caused the damage.

I had my repair kit but she decided as we weren't far from home she'd just turn round and head home and told me to carry on, I turned with her and headed back to where I would have left her anyway and as she took her baby back home I selfishly completed my total.

Is she disheartened, nope, we're heading back out tomorrow, weather dependent. And I'm off to berate the council for their lack of clearing up after cutting the hedges on the cycle path.

She started her blog at http://www.thehesitantcyclist.co.uk but I can't say that it will be as loved as the bike currently is :thumbsup:

Top Bottom