The horror, the horror... thin lycra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gains

ColinJ said:
Just hold the shorts up to the light (when you are not wearing them, obviously! :girl:)

Lol had some brilliant mental imagery of someone trying that while wearing them - like irons that warn you not to use them while wearing the article of clothing!

Im going to have to check my shorts when i get back now out of curiosity - its the seems around the crotch going id be more scared of me thinks!:becool:

bianchi1

Guru
I used to lifeguard an aqua areobics session at my local pool.

The sights I have seen!!!

The chlorine in pools just rots the fabric

hotmetal

bianchi1 said:
The chlorine in pools just rots the fabric

Yes, I too have witnessed this phenomenon. And unfortunately, it always seems to be the 'crack' zone that goes see-thru first with this too. I would not wear lycra swimming trunks. Then again I'm not a serious triathlete or swimmer. (I just go swimming to look at all the worn-out costu... NO! :smile:

Philk

Lol This type of thread is the reason I asked for advice in the beginners section on wearing lycra shorts, I have decided 3/4 length baggy shorts over padded lycra shorts, this will stop my friend from suffering severe trauma at looking at my massive back side lol
:wacko:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Detergents, fabric conditioners, and over-heavy washing all destroy lycra. Most good-quality shorts come with a mesh wash-bag to minimise the effects of being tumbled and spun.

Old shorts become winter-wear, under longs.

PMB

I cant believe this has come as a surpise to anyone.

The make of the shorts is ASSOS which must mean Ass On Show ;)

Buyer beware and all that

Mark_Robson

It's weird because I can quite comfortably ( pardon the pun ) wear leggings all winter but for whatever reason I can't bring myself to wear lycra shorts by themselves in the warmer months. I always wear a pair of thin black running shorts over the top. :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
PMB said:
I cant believe this has come as a surpise to anyone.

The make of the shorts is ASSOS which must mean Ass On Show :tongue:

Buyer beware and all that

Don't worry, its just a marketing ploy, very shortly ASSOS is bringing out black chamois creme, so a big dollop on your backside will sort the problem out

Chrisc

Guru
Mark_Robson said:
It's weird because I can quite comfortably ( pardon the pun ) wear leggings all winter but for whatever reason I can't bring myself to wear lycra shorts by themselves in the warmer months. I always wear a pair of thin black running shorts over the top. :tongue:
Me too, my lycra is never on display! I will be getting out the lycrometer now tho, just on case.

Fiona N

Veteran
From a technical point of view, the area around seams under tension goes transparent first because the lycra fibres which provide the opaquesness to the fabric are most stretched in this region and therefore most vulnerable - it's not only chlorine and sun that damages lycra, components of sweat will too.

Also, on less well made shorts (this probably doesn't apply to Assos) the cut edge of the lycra is too narrow so the lycra fibres (which are woven into the flat nylon fabric while it's being woven) escape from the seam - you can often see a line of white lycra fibre ends along the seam line after the first wearing.

There is definitely a trend to thinner fabrics but even heavyweight lycra will become quite see-thru once the lycra (which is only latex spun into a filament) decays. There are other stretch fibres but sadly none which combine good skin feel, low cost, convenience of manufacture and reasonable longevity.

Finding a make/pair of shorts cut somewhat more generously around the bum to avoid overstretch might be one long-term solution. Careful washing and drying out of the sun/heat will prolong the life of existing lycra.

Or buy longer jerseys ;)

lukesdad

ColinJ said:
Just hold the shorts up to the light (when you are not wearing them, obviously! :evil:) - the thin spots are very obvious.

Ive just checked them, they all need replacing:blush:

Mark_Robson

Fiona N said:
From a technical point of view, the area around seams under tension goes transparent first because the lycra fibres which provide the opaquesness to the fabric are most stretched in this region and therefore most vulnerable - it's not only chlorine and sun that damages lycra, components of sweat will too.

Also, on less well made shorts (this probably doesn't apply to Assos) the cut edge of the lycra is too narrow so the lycra fibres (which are woven into the flat nylon fabric while it's being woven) escape from the seam - you can often see a line of white lycra fibre ends along the seam line after the first wearing.

There is definitely a trend to thinner fabrics but even heavyweight lycra will become quite see-thru once the lycra (which is only latex spun into a filament) decays. There are other stretch fibres but sadly none which combine good skin feel, low cost, convenience of manufacture and reasonable longevity.

Finding a make/pair of shorts cut somewhat more generously around the bum to avoid overstretch might be one long-term solution. Careful washing and drying out of the sun/heat will prolong the life of existing lycra.

Or buy longer jerseys :rolleyes:
I find the fact that you know that quite scary. :evil:

Top Bottom