the horror, the horror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan_h

[QUOTE 1822692, member: 1314"]On the other hand, Claud, your right. No need to feel bad - he deserved it. Cheers for the affirmation! Made me feel better.[/quote]

Sounds like you were pretty restrained, if it were me he would have got a mouthfull by the end of the first sentence, or at least the second after I had ascertained that he was not kidding!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1823390 said:
The tweed cap was a random acquisition?
Gift. All I'm responsible for is the jaunty angle.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's true. He does look like a sack of spuds. How can anyone seriously say Boris looks 'good' on a bike?
anyone who rides a bike, be they whippet-like racing snake on their carbon lovely, or sack of spuds on their hybrid or hoodied yoof on an Universal BSO, looks good on a bike. Would you prefer that they drove?

don't be so elitist.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
anyone who rides a bike, be they whippet-like racing snake on their carbon lovely, or sack of spuds on their hybrid or hoodied yoof on an Universal BSO, looks good on a bike. Would you prefer that they drove?

I'd prefer that HE (we are just talking about one guy here) walk. It's not about elitism - it's about aesthetics. And surely this subject is not that serious.

On a more serious note, a big part of the reason that we have so many poor cyclists on the road these days is this attitude that "everyone should cycle". Not everyone is cut out for cycling responsibly, and cycling does have some level of responsibility attached to it.

Even if it were a cheap piece of political points-scoring or a way of hiding bad news, I'd love to see every MP conduct all their urban travel for one week only by bicycle.

Even a day would be good.

Follow some with TV crews (TdF motos? Ha ha) to make a point about cycling just making sense without being weirdly safey-safey phobic about it or (at the other extreme) messianic and weird.

For what it's worth, I think any shot in the mass media of a politico or known face on a bicycle helps to raise the profile and increase awareness.

I'd be happier if Cameron, Osborne and Johnson were not in office, but I've never seen a shot of the execrable Milliband on a bicycle (no cheap postings of Wallace on a motorcycle please). Nor Balls, Cooper, Clegg, Hughes....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd prefer that HE (we are just talking about one guy here) walk. It's not about elitism - it's about aesthetics. And surely this subject is not that serious.

You, sir, are a style nazi!:thumbsup: A man with a beard is in no position to comment on the aesthetics of others.

On a more serious note, a big part of the reason that we have so many poor cyclists on the road these days is this attitude that "everyone should cycle". Not everyone is cut out for cycling responsibly, and cycling does have some level of responsibility attached to it.

One's ability to cycle responsibly has nothing to do with aesthetics. Else one would not be allowed to cycle at all.....

Top Bottom