The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit its fairly local and i am tempted to go for it just for the bits bolted to it as the forks dont look right either and its a large size frame

asked the seller for a pic showing under the tape and got this reply

" The frame is cracked - it was filled with Epoxy resin at this point for strength & rigidity & then wrapped with Self-amalgamating tape to complete a strong repair.
I would not like to disturb this pre-sale as to do so would destroy the integrity of the repair."

in these cases i think the buying of a bike to strip for spares is worthwhile and fair

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Self amalgamating tape? The rubbery stuff? That'll achieve the square root of sod-all. It'll keep water out and that's about it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Self amalgamating tape? The rubbery stuff? That'll achieve the square root of sod-all. It'll keep water out and that's about it.
Isn't that self- vulcanizing tape? Self-amalgamating is the one that dries to hard plastic after stretching. Only keeps water out in a few situations and still not suitable for a structural repair.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not according to Wikipedia - self amalgamating and self vulcanising are apparently the same thing. I've not come across one that sets to a hard plastic.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not according to Wikipedia - self amalgamating and self vulcanising are apparently the same thing. I've not come across one that sets to a hard plastic.
You inspired me to go look in the toolbox. Both do indeed say self-amalgamating, but the plumbing tape I've got contains silicone and the electrical one doesn't.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Here chew on this one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-C...e-/201618323435?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-09%20at%2011.48.25_zpsvxwlkepk.png

Top Bottom