The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member

midlife

Guru
Don't know much about MTB bikes but what's that thing bolted to the chainstay next to the chainwheel?

weareHKR

Don't know much about MTB bikes but what's that thing bolted to the chainstay next to the chainwheel?
It's a U Brake from around the mid/late 80's.
Positioned on the chain stays as they're considerably stronger than the seat stays, stopped the brake mounts from flexing under breaking.
Trouble was they used to get covered in crap & lost their performance! 🤨

Chris S

Legendary Member
Positioned on the chain stays as they're considerably stronger than the seat stays, stopped the brake mounts from flexing under breaking.
Trouble was they used to get covered in crap & lost their performance! 🤨
Like the rear brake on bikes with rod brakes. You'd think they would have learned from that.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm not sure who Steve Thornhill was but a £999.99 starting bid for this seems a bit steep. Having said that they've included a Poundland rear mudguard.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steve-Thornhill-Mountain-Bike-Very-Rare-80-s-Light-Frame-Vintage-Independent/224221875186?hash=item3434aa4bf2:g:qwUAAOSw2OlfowKL&LH_ItemCondition=3000|7000
It's got a triple crank and (according to the description) 14 gears. How does that work out?
The 700C wheels seem to have extremely thick tyres as well.

AndyRM

XOXO
Four awful photographs, eleven words of description, and the title 'bicycle' (he couldn't even stretch to a capital B). That, and the fact it is an ex-rental, tells me he will be beating buyers off with a massive stick. Not.

Awful bicycle too. They had them in Newcastle for a while (anyone with half a brain could see how that would end up...) and I tried one out to see if they were any good, as I think their London counterparts are.

Barely usable and hellishly heavy. A short 8 mile loop on the cycle path to the coast and back had me sweating buckets. Admittedly it was a very hot day, but still.

Top Bottom