The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Looks like it had come out of a local canal.

And it was £49 starting price, but oddly didn't sell: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384451277805

Chris S

Legendary Member
£66 for a Viscount frameset that's been 'decorated' with rattle cans. The forks look like they'd snap at the first speed bump.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154680237703

s-l1600.jpg

Some amazing stuff on here
Basically - if you attach the word 'vintage' to a description you can double the asking price
and 'seller refurbished' means some bloke (probably) has fiddled with it to an unknown extent and with an unknown amount of experience, expertise and ability - but it also doubles the price

I have seen some better examples dumped on the side of the canal after magnet fishers have dragged them out!

Some amazing stuff on here
Basically - if you attach the word 'vintage' to a description you can double the asking price
and 'seller refurbished' means some bloke (probably) has fiddled with it to an unknown extent and with an unknown amount of experience, expertise and ability - but it also doubles the price

I have seen some better examples dumped on the side of the canal after magnet fishers have dragged them out!
Include 'barn find' and you can quadruple the price. Then there's that old chestnut 'chopper era' :laugh:

Also theres the collectable word that also means pay plenty and get some thing you either hold onto or scrap because no one else would buy it.
funny you should say that - I trecked across London once to look at an old steel Ridgeback that turned out to be in a right old state - the guy was involved in house clearances and had clearly got it for basically zero. He twigged that I was a fan of the type of bike, or one of its close relatives, and with a certain gleam in his eye said "are you a collector?". Well no, and not of his heap of rust.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Top Bottom