The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've a resprayed one on the stand. Makes me think it's worth something :tongue:

RichardB

Slightly retro
I have an interest in Carlton Corsairs and was interested to see this on eBay. He wanted £675 for it. Chainset and both mechs have been replaced with Shimano (originals were Raleigh branded Sun Tour). It's missing the unobtainable Esge mudguards and chrome rack too. Seat post is a modern replacement. Bear in mind that I bought the same model in good condition, and totally 100% original, for £250 a couple of months ago. A bike like this is nice but not all that special, and any value it has is if it is original and unmolested, so that saddos like me can relive their lost youth. A bike that has been modified and is missing some important and unobtainable bits is not going to have any value above its utility value as a working bicycle. It got no bids and he relisted at £475, but then ended it because 'there was an error in the listing' and has now relisted at £375. I feel he may be more successful with this.

s-l1600.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've been keeping an eye on vintage Raleigh stuff on ebay for a while; not sure that this market ever really saw the 'rona boom since I guess it appeals primarily to enthusiasts who would potentially already have a selection of bikes, as well as an idea of values and little desire or need to pay through the nose for another bike due to a transient spike in demand.

It certainly seems that very little of the nicer stuff is moving; many listings ending with no bids and those that do sell don't seem to be going for huge sums. I've also received quite a few "offers" on items I'm watching; some as much as a third off (although the bike in question was still expensive at that).

There are plenty of nice but very pricey old off-the-peg Raleighs up for silly money on the 'bay:

A tatty Rapide in giant-sizing at £300 start, unsurprisingly with no bids:

s-l1600.jpg

A Road Ace at £499 with no bids:

s-l1600.jpg

A late-model (cheaper Tigged Chromo frame) Vitesse with newish components at an eye-watering £550. Price aside IMO it doesn't look too bad in itself (although a bit of a mismatch between the quality / price of the frame and components).

s-l1600.jpg

A very nice looking Road Ace, but £750 :blink:

s-l1600.jpg

This Sirocco looks nice for what it is, but again optimistically priced at £300 (especially considering the size):

s-l1600.jpg

A Raleigh Corsa for £399; I really have a soft spot for these (love the paintwork) but the price is probably more than double what might be considered the high end of "realistic". The position of those brake levers raises questions about the competency of whoever did the "restoration" :ohmy:

s-l1600.jpg

Another Road Ace at £295; not as silly as some of the others but it looks a little tatty in places (namely around the BB shell):

s-l1600.jpg

Yet another Road Ace; an older one this time which IMO looks a lot nicer. Still utterly silly money though; especially considering the frame size.

s-l1600.jpg

A really pretty tatty Strada for £200:

s-l1600.jpg

Also spotted this Carlton Carrera - don't know a lot about these but it's mooted as being similar to the Road Ace. While not in terrible nick and apparently honest enough, it's not mint by any stretch making the £340 asking price hard to swallow. Probably a good thing tbh since it's quite close to me.. :whistle:

s-l1600.jpg

Finally we have this lovely looking Rapide; again from 83 which is (thereabouts) I think my favourite period from an aesthetic perspective with the subtle colours and branding. Looks like a really nice, unmolested example, but I can't see them getting anywhere near the £500 starting bid:

s-l1600.jpg

:smile:

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
@wafter that's a very good appraisal of the steel road bike market at the moment.
Thanks - that's much appreciated as I'm new to it all and still learning!

These prices for old Raleighs are crazy, as you know I buy and sell a lot of these bikes (8 this year) and they go for no where near what these fantasists are trying to get.
Indeed; certainly seems that way from some of the completed auctions I've looked at; although to be fair some of the silly-priced jobs do look like really nice examples.. not that this really justifies their price.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There's a particularly active eBay seller of retro bits (stripped from bikes, probably) who must be making a very good living - he charges £20 for the kind of stuff I'd toss in the metal recycling!

£40 for a dog-eared Sora 7 speed STI unit? I bought a pair of nice ones for £30 two weeks ago, and new ones are £22 from Taiwan with free postage.

RichardB

Slightly retro
There's a particularly active eBay seller of retro bits (stripped from bikes, probably) who must be making a very good living - he charges £20 for the kind of stuff I'd toss in the metal recycling!

£40 for a dog-eared Sora 7 speed STI unit? I bought a pair of nice ones for £30 two weeks ago, and new ones are £22 from Taiwan with free postage.

Lots of people like that, relying on the fact that people buy on impulse or through habit and won't do the small amount of research that might get them a better deal. When I was running Land Rovers, I lost count of the number of items sold as 'rare, unobtainable' parts on eBay which you could get brand new for half the price from Paddock Spares.

Top Bottom