1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Human League?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Renard, 7 Apr 2008.

1. Renard

Renard Guest

2. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Pulp were a better Sheffield-based synth band. 'Being Boiled' was good though.

3. OP
    OP
    Renard

Renard Guest

Diffrent era and I think the league and spawn of league (heaven 17) were far more influential than Jarvis...

4. Rapples

Rapples Guru

1st Definately. "You've lost that loving feeling" need I say more?

OK then,....... Penthouse and Pavement by Heaven 17

5. OP
    OP
    Renard

Renard Guest

One of the definitive albums of the eighties, need I say more?

6. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Fascist Groove Thang was ok, but PULP HAD FEELING AND SOUL.

sORRY cAPS LOCK DISASTER.

7. yello

yello Guru

Agreed.

But then I don't 'get' Pulp. Good but not that good, and certainly not as culturally profound and relevant (or whatever) as Cocker thinks. I thought there was a certain irony about his intervention during Michael Jackson's performance at the Brits (??) - not that he didn't have a point.

8. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

Pulp did nothing new or creative, just wrote a few songs with catchy tunes and decent lyrics - you cannot compare them to the Human League.:sad:

Their claim to fame was they were the first all synth band although I suspect Kraftwerk claim that too.

9. simonali

simonali Über Member

Human League version 1 were quite short-lived compared to the second incarnation. Being Boiled was diluted for me slightly when this came out.

10. Great band. I really fancied the girl with dark hair when I was about 12 or 13.

11. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

The Human League rocked bells in both incarnations. Got a bit sad when they did their comeback a few years ago though and now they are doing those nostalgia tours. Oh well, they have to pay the mortgage I guess.

As for which Sheff band was best. They all were.

12. yello

yello Guru

I reckon there's one (current) Sheffield band that stands out above the rest.... but I wonder what I'll think in a few years time? Pop's such a fickle thing! Or maybe it's just me.

13. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

;) FFS

14. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

LOL!!! The human league were no way the first all synth band, and I doubt kraftwerk were either. Tangerine Dream probably pipped them to that.

15. microphonie

microphonie New Member

The Human League: Reproduction & Dare are great albums, Travelogue I never really got (probably need to listen again). Empire State Human and Being Boiled are two of the finest singles from the late seventies, and remind me of the youth club 'disco' :biggrin:

Heaven 17 came up with 3 great albums too.

Of course no-one's mentioned the best ever Sheffield band: Cabaret Voltaire.
    Very influential across the industrial/electronic music scene. Any band that gets the respect of Kraftwerk can't be at all bad ;)

Now that Stephen Mallinder has returned back from Perth (down under version) I'm hoping that there'll be a reunion with Richard H. Kirk (& maybe even Chris Watson could be dragged away from working with Bill Oddie & David Attenborough to have an original line-up reunion!)

Also out of Sheffield: Clock DVA, Hula and Chakk all deserve a mention.