The Human League?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Pulp were a better Sheffield-based synth band. 'Being Boiled' was good though.

OP
OP
R

Renard

Diffrent era and I think the league and spawn of league (heaven 17) were far more influential than Jarvis...

yello

Renard said:
Diffrent era and I think the league and spawn of league (heaven 17) were far more influential than Jarvis...

Agreed.

But then I don't 'get' Pulp. Good but not that good, and certainly not as culturally profound and relevant (or whatever) as Cocker thinks. I thought there was a certain irony about his intervention during Michael Jackson's performance at the Brits (??) - not that he didn't have a point.

02GF74

Über Member
Dave5N said:
Pulp were a better Sheffield-based synth band. 'Being Boiled' was good though.

Pulp did nothing new or creative, just wrote a few songs with catchy tunes and decent lyrics - you cannot compare them to the Human League.:sad:

Their claim to fame was they were the first all synth band although I suspect Kraftwerk claim that too.

simonali

Guru
Human League version 1 were quite short-lived compared to the second incarnation. Being Boiled was diluted for me slightly when this came out.

The Human League rocked bells in both incarnations. Got a bit sad when they did their comeback a few years ago though and now they are doing those nostalgia tours. Oh well, they have to pay the mortgage I guess.

As for which Sheff band was best. They all were.

yello

I reckon there's one (current) Sheffield band that stands out above the rest.... but I wonder what I'll think in a few years time? Pop's such a fickle thing! Or maybe it's just me.

Dave5N

Über Member
02GF74 said:
Pulp did nothing new or creative, just wrote a few songs with catchy tunes and decent lyrics - you cannot compare them to the Human League.;)

Their claim to fame was they were the first all synth band although I suspect Kraftwerk claim that too.

;) FFS

Abitrary

02GF74 said:

LOL!!! The human league were no way the first all synth band, and I doubt kraftwerk were either. Tangerine Dream probably pipped them to that.

microphonie

The Human League: Reproduction & Dare are great albums, Travelogue I never really got (probably need to listen again). Empire State Human and Being Boiled are two of the finest singles from the late seventies, and remind me of the youth club 'disco' :biggrin:

Heaven 17 came up with 3 great albums too.

Of course no-one's mentioned the best ever Sheffield band: Cabaret Voltaire.
Very influential across the industrial/electronic music scene. Any band that gets the respect of Kraftwerk can't be at all bad ;)

Now that Stephen Mallinder has returned back from Perth (down under version) I'm hoping that there'll be a reunion with Richard H. Kirk (& maybe even Chris Watson could be dragged away from working with Bill Oddie & David Attenborough to have an original line-up reunion!)

Also out of Sheffield: Clock DVA, Hula and Chakk all deserve a mention.

Top Bottom