The Human League?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smeggers

microphonie said:
Now that Stephen Mallinder has returned back from Perth (down under version) I'm hoping that there'll be a reunion with Richard H. Kirk (& maybe even Chris Watson could be dragged away from working with Bill Oddie & David Attenborough to have an original line-up reunion!)

Also out of Sheffield: Clock DVA, Hula and Chakk all deserve a mention.

That bloke with Bill Oddie was the founder member of Cabaret Voltaire?

You live and learn!

OP
OP
R

Renard

microphonie said:
The Human League: Reproduction & Dare are great albums, Travelogue I never really got (probably need to listen again).

Travelogue has my favourite Human League track on it, 'Dreams of Leaving', so worth relistening :smile:

yello

Smeggers said:
That bloke with Bill Oddie was the founder member of Cabaret Voltaire? You live and learn!

Well I'll be damned, I didn't know that either.

The Cabs were just a few years before my interest in music broadened, but I have heard them, along with Physic TV and Throbbing Gristle. I have the Living Legends... on CD just so I can sample some of what I missed out on!

microphonie

Smeggers said:
That bloke with Bill Oddie was the founder member of Cabaret Voltaire?

You live and learn!

Yep!

There's a good view of him at 3mins in the Nag Nag Nag video.

He was also in The Hafler Trio too for a while before taking-up sound recording. I'd highly recommend his album 'Weather Report' too.

Thanks for the Travelogue link Reynard - will give it a listen!

Yello - if you want to try some of their earlier 'industrial' stuff give the Red Mecca album a try.

Edit: Just listened to the Dreams of Living track - very nice indeed and with thoughtful lyrics too. I think I listened to a new remix of my own creation though: I still had the Chris Watson link open so had an overlying soundtrack of corvids too...oops!

OP
OP
R

Renard

microphonie said:
Bloody hell!

Give this Human League demo of Being Boiled a listen!

The man's trashed! :biggrin:

:tongue:

That is fantastic :smile:

The next question was going to be 'What is your favourite version of Being Boiled?' The Holiday 80 version or the original one from 78 that was rereleased in 82 (Fast records)?

I read someone's comments on Youtube which said "Im absolutly gobsmacked that this is here.
Ive got this on 7" vinyl from when i was a kid. im like 38 now lol.
the best H/L tune ever imo, it was electro and techno before the two words were ever said alongside music.
made my day this.. thanks. "

Dave5N

Über Member
microphonie said:
The Human League: Reproduction & Dare are great albums, Travelogue I never really got (probably need to listen again). Empire State Human and Being Boiled are two of the finest singles from the late seventies, and remind me of the youth club 'disco' :biggrin:

Heaven 17 came up with 3 great albums too.

Of course no-one's mentioned the best ever Sheffield band: Cabaret Voltaire.
Very influential across the industrial/electronic music scene. Any band that gets the respect of Kraftwerk can't be at all bad :becool:

Now that Stephen Mallinder has returned back from Perth (down under version) I'm hoping that there'll be a reunion with Richard H. Kirk (& maybe even Chris Watson could be dragged away from working with Bill Oddie & David Attenborough to have an original line-up reunion!)

Also out of Sheffield: Clock DVA, Hula and Chakk all deserve a mention.
:biggrin:

Top Bottom