The illogical and bizarre statements that people make

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Me:"Now?"

Friend "Yes, now in a minute"

Me: ?!*?

That's a Welsh thing. My mum would follow up with "not 'now in a minute' NOW!"

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
"It's too cold to snow."

Er, its -60 Celsius in Antarctica, but it manages to snow there just fine.

I really wanted to reply to this, then I remembered the bloke down the pub that we referred to as 'Mr. it's quite funny actually' and so changed my mind.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
"been running around all morning, I'm going to meet myself coming back"

"My car's really good on fuel, it only takes £30 to fill it up" :wacko: That's just the size of the tank. If it did 3mpg it would still take £30 to fill it up.

"I've just ordered my new car!"
"What sort is it?"
"Red!"

"It's looking a bit black over Bills Mother's"
"Who's Bill, and where does his mother live?"
"I don't know, it's something my mum used to say"

"It wouldn't cost you that much more to have a new one" - Said the salesman when I was looking at used car for £7k - against my better judgement I went along with it - you can probably guess what coming - the repayments on a new one were around £25 more - but when I pushed for total cost it came to £14k - So I said "Actually its double the price of the 2 year old one isn't it mate" - Tosser !!!! - I didn't buy either car

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Years ago we were working in a place in Abergavenny, and the plant engineer was telling us about the time someone stole his bike from outside the workshop (imagine being said in typical comedy welsh accent).

"I came out, and there it was............ gone!"

Became something of a workplace catchphrase for quite a while.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Years ago we were working in a place in Abergavenny, and the plant engineer was telling us about the time someone stole his bike from outside the workshop (imagine being said in typical comedy welsh accent).

"I came out, and there it was............ gone!"

Became something of a workplace catchphrase for quite a while.

Yes "I turned around and there it was...gone" is one of my favorite local sayings.

Others include the aforementioned "I'll be there now, in a minute", "I could have hit him sick" and every parents go to - "If you break both legs, don't come running to me"

Levo-Lon

Guru
It`s that fine rain that soaks everything.....

Doesn`t it all??

Well you say that..but when I was outside working, the fine drizzle usually doesn't stop you working , so you do get very wet after a time. Plus you tend not to get a coat even though it would be useful..
Heavy rain..scraper for cover or put the full wets on

CharlesF

Guru
Growing up in the colonies we would say ”I’ll see you just now”. Although completely understood, no actual time was stated or expected.

If there was some urgency, “I will be there now, now”.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's not a phrase, but it's a way of saying something that my Mother in Law has, and it drives me mad... she tries to explain where something is, or to give directions, and it goes something like this...

"So that new shop... well you know if you're in town, at the square?"
Me: "Yeeesss...."
"So you go that way"... (she now gestures with her hands to somewhere at the other side of the living room).
"Then you take that road, not the one where Maude's usual bus takes you, the other one, you know, that road, then you go that way, past that shop. Then you turn there. (Gesturing again, in different directions).
Me: "I have no idea where you are Mum."
"THERE. You go THERE" (Gesturing increases in intensity as she gets frustrated that I can't magically see where she is now).

I can see what she's doing, she's mentally walking the route, and her brain oddly assumes that I can see it too.
If she told me her actual starting point, and most importantly the direction she is mentally setting off in, I might have a chance. But this is all crystal clear in her head, and she doesn't see how I can't see what she sees.

classic33

Leg End Member
A response given to two Guards(An Garda Síochána) in a squad car, unfamiliar with the area, responding to a call.
Them: Are we on the right road to....
Driver at the roadside: You're on the right road, but going the wrong way.

Top Bottom