The incredible speed of life.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
How is it that our very lives, the limited time we are granted on this planet, speeds past us so quickly? When you stop and think for a moment, you realise there's nothing you could do to stop time or slow it down. It was this picture that brought it home to me. The man in the background was once the baby sat on my knee and that seems about ten minutes ago. Now my knee is reserved for the baby my grown-up baby has brought to us. Nice and all that but a reality check on how fast it all speeds by.

Does anyone know of any effective speed cameras that may slow time down a bit?

Attachments

• Sammy.jpg
    Sammy.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 78

RedRider

Pulling through
If only you'd followed EFC instead. At least life would have seemed longer.

ASC1951

Guru
Does anyone know of any effective speed cameras that may slow time down a bit?
You can try the tactic chosen by Clevinger [Catch 22], who spent as much time as he could doing things that he hated - he had the same number of days as everyone else, he reckoned, but they would seem much much longer.
I think you're better with Kipling's "Fill each unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run". And comfort yourself, as I do, with the thought that, at the end of your turn, all your constituent molecules will be recycled into something else, right on until the cold dark end of everything...

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
You can try the tactic chosen by Clevinger [Catch 22], who spent as much time as he could doing things that he hated - he had the same number of days as everyone else, he reckoned, but they would seem much much longer.
I think you're better with Kipling's "Fill each unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run". And comfort yourself, as I do, with the thought that, at the end of your turn, all your constituent molecules will be recycled into something else, right on until the cold dark end of everything...

Yeah that's the spirit- at least I got some miles in.

'We are staarrrrrdust, we are goooooldennn....'

Peteaud

Veteran
About 33 seconds according to Microsoft!

View: http://youtu.be/brsI6z13Su8

I always thought that was a good advert.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member

No, not would SEEM to be much longer, they would actually BE much longer, as I recall he insisted.

ASC1951

Guru
No, not would SEEM to be much longer, they would actually BE much longer, as I recall [Clevinger] insisted.
You probably recall better than me.

A brilliant, clever and influential book. Although everyone knows the 'Catch 22' phrase, not many people know its context and the book itself seems to have dropped off the reading list (while juvenile tosh like Catcher in the Rye remains.) A great pity.

tyred

Legendary Member
We're here for such a little time,
So much to see and do
In a land so full of splendid things,
Where is always something new.

Top Bottom