The Jazz Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beancounter

Andy in Sig said:
Beancounter,

try Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell: a classic bluesy jazz album.

I agree with Fnaar about Art Blakey. I'm getting my head round Thelonius Monk these days.

I appreciate the recommendation but I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy music by someone called "Kenny".......

bc

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
There was a really amazing Ornette Coleman performance on YouTube a while ago, but it was taken down for some reason. Performance of a piece called "Times Square", I think.

I find Coltrane pretty easy going in the main, although Ascension takes some work.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
ep7_7.jpg

'I'm going to creep inside you like a warm kitten'

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Did anyone ever see the Tommy Chase Quartet back in the 80s? Kind of modelled himself on Art Blakey, as drummer/bandleader, brought on and nurtured the careers of very good young bebop jazzers... unfortunately he developed a massive coke habit, and disappeared off the scene.... not heard of him since (he'd be 60 or nearabouts by now)... I have some of his stuff on vinyl.... pretty damn good

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
John Coltrane - hard going? Amongst the most sublime music ever recorded. I'm a big bop fan - Miles Davies, Thelonius Monk, Dexter Gordon too. I can dig Charlie Mingus and Ornette Coleman too, though they can be a bit perverse. Big fan of jazz piano - apart from the Monk, Oscar Peterson in particular.

70s fusion on the other hand, yuck. Although the recent stuff that is influenced by rock like the Bad Plus and EST can be fun.

Jan Gabarak is your nordic violinist, I expect - excellent stuff.

Renard

Fnaar said:
Hmm...Maz, you're not a jazz fan? :eek:

Check this out... exhilarating music, phenomenal dancing (I may have posted this before sometime...) and the guy who starts off playing the piano (Slim Gaillard...one of life's natural geniuses, I bought him a drink once, y'know, and had a chat at the bar.... he was a fascinating person, and amazingly talented on any instrument you could care to mention)

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TlQ-CxoxQnM

The clip is a bit non-PC these days (it's from a film called Hellzapoppin'... which was also a stage show... the black peeps are servants/drivers/chefs etc) and the white guys (Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellzapoppin') are putting on a show at a country house....

Be amazed! (or not...whatever rings your bell!) :biggrin:

I once went to a SlimGaillard gig at Glasgow Art School and he got me up on stage to describe to the audience what he was doing as he played the piano. A cool guy he was. I had forgotten all about that :tongue:

My dad is big on Jazz so I was brought up on it so to speak. I don't really listen to it myself but have a fairly wide knowledge and I know what I like IYSWIM.

Maz

Guru
Fnaar said:
Be amazed! (or not...whatever rings your bell!) :eek:
Yeah, I can dig that vibe. And that dancing shows unbelievable athleticism!
I bet the whi'folk at the end of that clip were dead jealous...

Abitrary

hmm, a lot of this is quite predictable.

I'd go for something a bit off the wall from the 70s like Mad Jack Shandy and his Half Pint of Brandy.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Top Bottom