The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unusual opinion, most people love the hebrides and the west coast.
I'm forced to agree, having ridden much of the route myself, I don't really recognise much of the interpretation of things with the exception of Stornoway which I may have caught in a bad light but I was grateful I was only there on an overnight stay.

I would consider going to London just to get the sleeper train though and it's given me a yearning to go back and finish the bottom half of the OH which I didn't do.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Crackle - the Highland Sleeper stops at Crewe. That would get you to (or from) Mallaig (and a ferry to Lochboisdale) and Kyle (and a ferry to Skye).

Crackle - the Highland Sleeper stops at Crewe. That would get you to (or from) Mallaig (and a ferry to Lochboisdale) and Kyle (and a ferry to Skye).
It does, yes, I was more thinking of the full experience. I think it gets into Crewe around midnight, which is a tadge late but certainly possible. Plus son1 may be in London later this year, so two birds and all that.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I return,l briefly, to the midge question.

We'd noticed that people in the Western Isles didn't really kept gardens. To be blunt the areas surrounding the houses was oftentimes scruffy. Susie got in to conversation with a couple who had retired from keeping a hotel in Skye. Their point was this - there was no fun in gardening when you had to wear a midge suit.

I'd never heard of midge suits. Here's a picture
midge-nets-693x248.jpg

rualexander

Legendary Member
Yeah but nine days out of ten there is enough of a breeze to completely eliminate the midgie problem except perhaps around dusk when the breeze tends to die down.
The reason people don't have gardens like you might have down south is maybe more to do with the harsher conditions, shorter growing season, etc.

Top Bottom