The Joy of riding without a GPS or bike computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
I often leave the Garmin switched off. As much as I'm trying to get fitter and improve on my Strava stats, it's all to easy to lose the real reason for cycling, which is to just enjoy getting out the house and enjoy the freedom cycling offers.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I often leave the Garmin switched off. As much as I'm trying to get fitter and improve on my Strava stats, it's all to easy to lose the real reason for cycling, which is to just enjoy getting out the house and enjoy the freedom cycling offers.
That may be your reason for cycling but others cycle for other reasons. I cycle and enjoy the freedom of offers, but I mainly cycle to keep fit and the social aspect.

It's important to remember that your (or my) reason for cycling is not the only reason. Hence why I always take a GPS to (a) track my fitness (b) have a laugh with people I'm connected to who can see my ride online

Shack

90% of the time I have my Garmin going and the phone tracking for Strava, just to give details for me to look back on and look at the map and compare with previous times I've done the route (not a competitive cyclist) also good to share with friends. I do sometimes go without the Garmin (normally oversight then can't be fussed to trapse back to the house) On those occasions I do find it relaxing and definitely more of a mooch along

AlanW

Guru
I record every ride that I do with my Garmin 1030, but the only figures on display are heart rate and gradient. TBH, I couldn't give a flying fig about any other information, it is what it is.

dodgy

I sometimes put my computer in my back pocket with the screen locked as I do still like to record a ride (not for performance metrics, but memories).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I only have a cycle computer on my Rourke and GPS mounts on the Rourke and Brompton for those occasions when I don’t know where am going or want to record a ride like a FNRttC.
Otherwise, am not greatly into numbers or stats. As @matticus says, have to work with and record data as part of my day job, I can’t be arsed to do it in my spare time....
Just ride, smell the air, view the scene, listen to the landscape....feel alive :-)

I record my rides since 2010 because everyone did it - herd mentality. Only to realise it is now a treasure trove of some wonderful rides. Occasionally I would go back years to reminisce the experience of a particular ride. With replay or relive feature, the experience is even better.

Check this out and the video in it.
https://www.relive.cc/ride-with-gps

Kajjal

Guru
I stopped using one on all rides and found the rides much more enjoyable. Going from trying to get 0.01mph faster to looking around more is much better. But I do use one to try and beat my best time on a downhill off road section on my mountain bike :bicycle:

Top Bottom