The joy of socks: To darn or not to darn....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found a very thin spot in the knees of my Gap khakis. I darned the thin spot just in time to prevent a breakthrough. Now relegated to house wear.
Throwing away perfectly usable clothes is so wasteful. Don't they know there's a war on?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My Y fronts never wear out. As a hole develops in the fabric there remains a solid skin, a crust of filth covering up the hole. I've been wearing the same pair since 1972 and there's very little actual fabric left.

Hence my use of the phrase "less than wholesome".....

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Only if I can find it's matching partner - so no.

I purchase my socks in multi-packs of identical ones. If I get one of a pair with a hole in it or one sock each of two pairs goes missing (where the hell do they go?), the remaining good socks get put together to make a pair. I've had missing ones reappear months later!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The point of darning socks mostly applied to that old fashioned style of thick, woolen knitted sock. They lend themselves to it well, I'm not convinced more modern, thinner / smoother socks are suited. Once there's a hole in those, the whole sole is getting a little thin by that point, so in the bin they go. I really enjoy wearing a newer pair of socks, it's like giving your feet a little hug.

I will darn socks up to a point. Mine always seem to wear on the right heel for some odd reason. But when they're past their best, they either end up as fruit protectors on my fig tree (my fig tree is currently covered in a raft of bright pink fluffy socks with no heels), or as sucky sock catnip toys for the girls.

Likewise, I will patch jeans. I keep one old pair to cut patches from, and use those to repair the others.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Likewise, I will patch jeans. I keep one old pair to cut patches from, and use those to repair the others.
That's not very fashionable, is it...? :whistle:

Most people these days seem willing to pay extra for pre-knackered jeans! :laugh:

Ripple

Veteran
This thread reminded me a joke.

5 stages of socks being worn out:

1. When you stand socks in the corner and they remain standing there.
2. When you throw socks to the wall and they stick to it.
3. When you can cut your toenails without taking off the socks.
4. When you can take off your shoes without taking off the socks.
5. When the socks are long gone but the stench still remains.

Oh, I thought it was just tatty knees and thighs! :wacko:

For some odd reason, my jeans always seem to rip around the pockets and wear down the inseam... :blush:

Even without jeans having holes in, everybody under 25 seems to have underwear permanently on display courtesy of buttock-bisection or below-buttock positioning... :laugh:

The pain of the first, I can achieve by coming to an abrupt stop on a bike that's too big, and as for the second, ain't that a bit draughty? :scratch:

Top Bottom