the joys of getting old!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gavroche, 23 Jul 2012.

1. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

As you all know by know, i have very set views on the world but what annoys me the most is that old age is creeping in and affecting my cycling. I mean, every time i do some diy nowadays, it affects my lower back and i cant cycle for a few days. I like my diy and my cycling so is there a way to keep one's back in good shape? Answers on a postcard please.

2. I injured my back( and hip) after many years Thai Boxing and I swim 3-4x per week. Along with stretching, it does keep the back strong and flexible as well as helping my cycling.

3. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Work. Some while ago I fractured my spine in 3 places, 2 neck and one between the shoulder blades. They couldn't do any surgery stuff so I lay prone til the back one had fixed itself then had a halo put on with a local. They drive spikes into your skull and you keep it on for 12 weeks. Every so often you go back and they tighten up the bolts without anaesthetic. I told them everything I knew but they still did it.

After they took it off, I was ok but the scar tissue they said would ache, did. After a week or two I resumed building work although my back still ached after pushing barrows full of mortar and stuff. It's fine now.

When in hospital I heard about quite a few back trouble cases. Surprisingly, getting in and out of cars seemed be a not uncommon cause. One chap, a real character, fell over whilst drunk and getting out of the bath. His biggest concern was about the well-being of his dog. He left on his feet I am pleased to say.

4. PaulB

PaulB Guru

I hate the deterioration in sight. I always had perfect vision, people used to ask me to read tiny print or print in bad light but all used to tell me it would start to go when I reached 40. It didn't, really and an optician told me my eyesight was that of a 25 year old so I thought it would stay that way forever. It hasn't. The deterioration in the last five years has been faster than most and probably puts me age-equivalent but since it was better previously, I've noticed it more than most as it's been dramatic rather than gradual. Working on the bike's the worst. Sometimes I need far while also needing near on tricky, fiddly work on the gears or changing cables so needing glasses while simultaneously not needing glasses does my fruit in.

5. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

getting old affects all of us differantley , ie hearing ,sight , memory and worse of all bowel control

6. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

how do you think my daughter feels when out on tandem

7. Andy_R

Andy_R Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

Don't worry RM, if what he says is true then you won't be able to see, hear, or remember him doing anything. You'll just want to know how you got covered in it:wacko:

User14044 likes this.
  8. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

On a brighter note, it's great when younger guys don't allow you to do the heavy lifting and pulling and tell you to clear out and leave it to them.^_^

dave r likes this.
  9. Tight Git

Tight Git Senior Member

If you can ignore comments from everyone else I would recommend Pilates - after 2 prolapsed discs 12 years ago it definitely helps

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

10. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

Both cycling and DIY are relatively static, at least for the back - as is running, or going to the gym. I do a lot of swimming, mainly front crawl, which does get some movement in there, but even that is not enough.

What you need is a regular routine of stretching. I have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stretching-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070226
    but I keep forgetting to do them, so I go to Pilates once a week as insurance. I used to think that was for girlies who don't like to break sweat, but it's actually a great help for us older chaps.

11. OP
    OP
    gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

It is true that getting in and out of cars doesn't help but it is part of my job. Regular strectching is probably the answer and relax the back muscles. Thanks for the tip, I will certainly try it

12. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

That hasn't happened to me yet. A touch of tinnitus, glasses for reading, occasional and various aches and pains, including back pain, not as strong or fast as I used to be, but better endurance, memory going.
    Plus point is I'm content in my own skin, I'm happy to be me. I'm also more tolerant, easy going and have a better idea of whats important in life.

Silver Fox likes this.
  13. Hover Fly

Hover Fly Lover of the bunny

My father genuinely didn't need glasses ever and he died at 85 y.o. Also he didn't have a grey hair on his head until he was 82 or 3.

14. Mad Doug Biker

Mad Doug Biker Bikeoholics Anonymous

I seem to have had a sort of tinnitus ever since I can remember, and it is bloody annoying because nobody will take me seriously because I'm not old. :rolleyes:

15. PpPete

PpPete Guru

That rings a bell...

IGMC

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice