the joys of getting old!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That rings a bell...

IGMC

Actually, I sometimes also get a pulsing noise in my head too almost like an engine idling away to itself. At the moment though, as I type, I have the hissing variant, as though there is a really high pressure hose with air leaking out of it somewhere near by.

If I allow it, it can become quite deafening, but I try and keep myself distracted so it is just a constant background noise. I am used to it anyway.
It is also one of the reasons why I prefer to ride alone, because otherwise I can have trouble making people out over any sort of background ambient noise (actually, any public place can be bad).

Is that normal for guy of 30?

buddha

Veteran
I'm gradually becoming a grumpy, narrow minded, demented fart! ... grumble ... grumble:crazy:

Actually, I sometimes also get a pulsing noise in my head too almost like an engine idling away to itself. At the moment though, as I type, I have the hissing variant, as though there is a really high pressure hose with air leaking out of it somewhere near by.

If I allow it, it can become quite deafening, but I try and keep myself distracted so it is just a constant background noise. I am used to it anyway.
It is also one of the reasons why I prefer to ride alone, because otherwise I can have trouble making people out over any sort of background ambient noise (actually, any public place can be bad).

Have you had your ears syringed recently. I went to the doc with similiar symptoms to you, my ears were full of wax. He said the hissing sound could be caused by the build up of pressure on the ear drum caused by the excessive wax.

He was right, after I'd had them syringed the hissing stopped and I could hear a pin drop.

colly

Re member eR
Another vote for something like pilates or yoga.
I get a problem with back pain every now and then but if I can feel it coming on I'll do some appropriate yoga exercises and stretches for a few mornings and it magically keeps it at bay. If I had more time or perhaps made the time I'm sure I would benefit from spending 15 mins a day, everyday, doing some yoga.

ASC1951

Guru

I do hope you have seen the quack about the pulsing variety? That can be treatable but can also indicate more serious problems
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tinnitus/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

+1 for Colly's ear wax. You're a lucky lad, Colly - I've been getting hissing tinnitus for a couple of years and asked the GP to take a look and reassure me that it was a wax golfball or a plumstone, or even swimmer's ear.
"Nah", he said, "Nowt there. You've just got 60 year old ears."

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I do hope you have seen the quack about the pulsing variety? That can be treatable but can also indicate more serious problems
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tinnitus/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

A quack? Yes very funny. As for the other reason..... Ohhh, that's interesting (and a bit disconcerting). And yes, it does seem to be it time with my pulse, so I wasn't too sure whether it was just me or whether it actually was my ears (if that makes sense). I have the hissing one again as I type this incidentally.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Have you had your ears syringed recently. I went to the doc with similiar symptoms to you, my ears were full of wax. He said the hissing sound could be caused by the build up of pressure on the ear drum caused by the excessive wax.

He was right, after I'd had them syringed the hissing stopped and I could hear a pin drop.

Yes yes, been there, done that, the patronising doctor even suggested I'd had a cold for the last 20 odd years.

Yeah, right, I'll be contacting The Guinness Book of records then will I?

Davidc

Guru
Getting older is just a pain in the:

Back
Side
Ankles
Knees
Hips
Shoulders
Elbows
Wrists
Fingers

And oh yes - the neck as well!

(but you do get 10% off at B&Q on Wednesdays, so you can buy all the bits for the jobs you can't quite manage any more)

I haven't noticed much that's good about getting older yet, but I'm sure those of us that do a sensible amount of both mental and physical exercise, so many cyclists for a start, age a lot better than we would if we joined the idle and inactive majority.

ASC1951

Guru
I haven't noticed much that's good about getting older yet,
It's better than the alternative. That's about it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I can relate to that, age does have a mellowing effect. Although I'm still prone to the occasional tourettes type outbursts of inappropriate humour and crappygagitis but hopefully the medication will sort that out.

You sound like me. It was the angina a few years ago that did the most to change my outlook, an event like that seems to do that to people, I took it as a yellow card and reasoned that my next one was likely to be the red.

Top Bottom