The Joys of Riding Locally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Lovely ride today 30miles of bliss.
The random wind turbine is only as my kid loves them haha

Attachments

• C402290D-57FF-4AE1-83D0-4594A8E9EAC9.jpeg
    C402290D-57FF-4AE1-83D0-4594A8E9EAC9.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 3
  • C1796A97-31E7-4A1C-AF9A-8B3D4D8A8DBB.jpeg
    C1796A97-31E7-4A1C-AF9A-8B3D4D8A8DBB.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 3

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We've been alternately walking (us) and cycling (me). We're pretty familiar with most of the footpaths within about a ten mile radius of here (I'm astonished at some folks ignorance of their local area). I can find my way on a bike round most of Devon, Somerset and East Dorset. I'm pretty good further afield on through routes. But there are still small lanes which I haven't yet poked my nose down, and a few cycleable tracks. It's a delight to suddenly find myself lost in some pocket of countryside that I thought I knew well.

I bought a flat in Heelands when I was in the Army. In the 2 years I owned it I think I slept there no more than 60 nights, but sold it at a handsome profit.

I cycled through there with daughter no 2 today, there’s tracks through and around there that most people wouldn’t notice but having the new cx/gravel/whatever opens up nicely

Drago

Legendary Member
I quite like the Redways. Perfect they are not, and in a couple of spots decidedly dicey, but they go absolutely everywhere. You can go from any single point in the town to another (excluding the old towns that were built long before anyone had thought of bicycles), by any route that makes your fancy, for as great a distance as you want, and not have to ride more than a hundred yards on a road. They are absolutely everywhere, and all are at least 3 metres wide. Some parts of the Redway are positively enchanting, the northern half of the Railway Walk, around the lakes and through the linear parks. I used to enjoy exploring them and still do on occasion when I ride over to see one of my chums.

Perhaps when this virus malarkey is behind us we could meet up for a cake and selfie?

Last edited:
I quite like the Redways. Perfect they are not, and in a couple of spots decidedly dicey, but they go absolutely everywhere. You can go from any single point in the town to another (excluding the old towns that were built long before anyone had thought of bicycles), by any route that makes your fancy, for as great a distance as you want, and not have to ride more than a hundred yards on a road. They are absolutely everywhere, and all are at least 3 metres wide. Some parts of the Redway are positively enchanting, the northern half of the Railway Walk, around the lakes and through the linear parks. I used to enjoy exploring them and still do on occasion when I ride over to see one of my chums.

Perhaps when this virus malarkey is behind us we could meet up for a cake and selfie?

Sounds great, it would be a pleasure.

I’ll keep in touch

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I had a ride in West Woods, near Marlborough today. There are downhill runs but I mostly stuck to the gravel roads and had an easygoing ride with a little excursion into some of the surrounding fields.
View attachment 517681
Here in Wiltshire The Ridgeway is the obvious go to place if your on a mountain bike, so it was nice to get into the woods for a change. I'm a bit short on ideas as to where to go next.
View attachment 517682

Late to this but I live near the West Woods, I run there a lot and I know the very stile above! There are some lovely MTB trails (that I run) out towards Avebury/Cherhill/Broad Hinton if that helps.

Probably just within the 5 mile radius

The abandoned/partially filled in Barnsley Canal, some sections are still in water & look reasonble
Others... less so

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/barnsley/ba3.htm

Lock # 11 (or 12?)
Between Walton & the entrance to Waterton Hall

The bridge from The Balk, to Waterton Hall

This was the site of the Worlds first Nature reserve; http://www.bbc.co.uk/bradford/sense_of_place/walton_1.shtml
An 8 foot high wall was built around the grounds to deter poachers disturbing the wildlife (this was in the 1820s)

The local residents/Council are chasing UNESCO listing for the grounds

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Been trying to make the days at work go a bit better by going out doing 'lunchtime mushroom safaris' on the industrial estate- there are a couple of bits of woodland left between the industrial units and there's verges on the lanes at the margins plus I've found a few along the dual-carriageway. I know fark all about mushrooms so I take a phone photo and try to figure out what they are later. It's not really about mushrooms anyway- it's just a mission to get me off site and exploring.

Saw a lot in September but there's not much around right now. Yesterday I found a golf ball and a yet-unidentified mushroom growing on a stump.

Sometimes this involves riding, mostly walking.

Top Bottom