The Kayak, Canoe and Small Boat thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah the first V sail is great for down wind sailing, the second one give a bit more across the wind, but without a keel you can flipped so you have to be careful.

I'd considered something similar myself, and I was going to ask about the lack of a centre board when sailing close hauled or on a reach. I wondered about an adjustable skeg, but the position's liable to be wrong anyway. Sailing is a lot about balancing the various forces. My conclusion was that as it's about relaxing pleasure for me, if it got to the point I needed the help, I'd have wrapped up and gone to pub. :laugh:

Quite ingenious. I've got this vision of you relaxing enjoying the back wind assisted ride out in to the sea, and then wondering to yourself at the wisdom when you turn to shore and have to paddle through that same headwind back. ^_^

Dylan Winter does some interesting videos of him 'sailing' along rivers in a small boat. He times it with the tide, so he drifts along as far as he can, then waits for the tide to turn to drift back, using a little sail when the wind allows. It all looks very serene, although I imagine steering can be a bit of an issue with the relative lack of water flowing along the rudder.

Last edited:
I have an Old Town Camper 16ft canoe that I used to paddle with the kids on the Rivers Nene and Gt. Ouse.

It’s been parked up unused in my back garden for the last few years as I no longer have a car so no way to get it to the river.

Should really think about selling it as it’s a great canoe and should really be used.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have an Old Town Camper 16ft canoe that I used to paddle with the kids on the Rivers Nene and Gt. Ouse.

It’s been parked up unused in my back garden for the last few years as I no longer have a car so no way to get it to the river.

Should really think about selling it as it’s a great canoe and should really be used.
I could be interested if you do decide to sell it.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

Now is the time - prices have never been higher.

Now is the time - prices have never been higher.

Anyone have any idea what a pair price would be for a used Old Own Camper 16 in Royalex Green In good condition?

I seem to remember it was over £1000 new when I bought it.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Anyone have any idea what a pair price would be for a used Old Own Camper 16 in Royalex Green In good condition?

If a genuine Royalex, then you'll be looking not a million miles away from what you paid I expect - Royalex is now a delisted material and has acquired rather mythical status. Create a Song of the Paddle profile and come over and ask the open question - you'll likely get some PMs with offers.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

If it were in really good condition, with no bumps, no major scrapes and with the wood well looked after I would expect £800. Stored outside, with battle and UV damage with wood needing some work and you can knock £300 off that easily.

Top Bottom