The Kayak, Canoe and Small Boat thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
So fun. I used to own 4 kayaks, one Hobie sit-on-top, 5m, two sit-ins, one tandem. All fun in different ways. I’ve paddled in the Pacific Ocean, lakes, gentle rivers. Switzerland, the Caribbean, and around the US. Everything from a 6.4m fiberglass single to a 2.4m blow-molded plastic kayak. All different in what you use them for and skill levels required, but all FUN!!

Here I am with my son, headed out to fun on a lake. Memories!

E1180B74-DBCC-47A8-B9B9-ABCD517BC27E.jpeg

And my kitty, checking out our boat.

8CD73844-3914-41B9-8401-0693279B7F4E.jpeg

One way or another... get out on the water if you can. It’s fun! But if you’re on a jet-ski, please watch out for kids, swimmers and kayakers! :bravo:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I’ve paddled the Ouse and the Nene, but my wife won’t let me try the Grand Union Anal.
But she might enjoy it! :laugh:

The Stoke Bruerne canal museum isn't far from Drago Towers and is well sign posted. Unfortuntely, some wag has carefully doctored all the signs to read "anal musuem". The carncil clean them up and almost immediately they're doctored again. It's gone on so long that the lodals now refer to the canal as the anal.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Just a thought. Do any of you carry radios when kayaking, particularly at sea? Mrs D tends to come to 'watch'when i go for a paddle (ie, sits in a comfy fonding chair reading mills and boon and eating sandwiches) and i use PMR445 for this, but at sea id probably want marine band channels for emergency use.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
It was something I'd strongly considered and I can't remember why exactly I didn't. I have a memory of needing a license which I couldn't afford at the time? I'm not sure If I'm correct on that. Certainly a good idea though if you do have the pre-requisites.

What I did have was an emergency bag. So three flares, (One I carried in my Bouancy aid) a paddle float (an inflatable bag that goes around the paddle blade so it acts as an outrigger for you to scramble back on board), a handheld pump, a few tools as well as denzo tape and cut up pieces of milk bottle carton. I also carried spare clothes and food, even on day trips. It's not a comprehensive list, but covers most of what I carried.

Most of the above was because I was in an enclosed cockpit sea kayak, paddling in remote areas with no back up, so I needed to be self sufficient. A sit on top wouldn't need some of the above, especially if your within easy swimming distance of the shore.

Baldy

Über Member
Just a thought. Do any of you carry radios when kayaking, particularly at sea? Mrs D tends to come to 'watch'when i go for a paddle (ie, sits in a comfy fonding chair reading mills and boon and eating sandwiches) and i use PMR445 for this, but at sea id probably want marine band channels for emergency use.
Yes I carry a marine band vhf, you do need a licence but you can do the test online these days, so no big deal. I also carry much the same kit as Chriswoody. I can roll my kayak and get back in solo. If I couldn't I'd not be going out on my own.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Standard Horizon HX280E - call sign Yakdiver :smile:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, you need a licence to use marine band, but a person in distress does not require a licence to use any frequency. If you're only using it to monitor and not transmit, except in the case of a distress call, youre covered. Im my case Im a ham and have a legal 2M set, and I keep channel 16 programmed in for emergencies.

simongt

Guru
Used to have a touring kayak, but eventually sold it because - a - the only local club was only interested in playboat type kayaks or canoes, b - it's not wise to go river paddling solo, c - 90% + of rivers in England are privately owned , thus not accessible. :angry:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Used to have a touring kayak, but eventually sold it because - a - the only local club was only interested in playboat type kayaks or canoes, b - it's not wise to go river paddling solo, c - 90% + of rivers in England are privately owned , thus not accessible. :angry:
Yes the two main rivers I have are the Itchen and the Test, some small parts of the Itchen you can paddle, but the Test is a big NO NO :angry:

I have free access to three local waterways: The Tidal Stour from Sandwich to Fordwich (about 20 miles), Medway estuary up to Allington, River Rother to Bodiam, which is classed as tidal but there is a flood control and lock at Scotts Float, which makes most of the river a still water. and also the Royal military canal from West Hythe to Rye (and beyond). Membership of the BCU gives access to more of the Medway. And the local council control the Hythe section of the RM Canal, for which they demand you buy a licence to gain access. There are also other drainage waterways on the Marsh which are fun to explore. I treat all waterways with great respect as a steep bramble lined bank does not offer a quick exit from the water should you find yourself unable to self rescue after a capsize.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Stuff clubs. Apart from playing with my band, I don't need to chummy up to others to do what I want to do.

Fortunately, I too have a reasonable selection of local waterways, a watersport centre, and 4 local watersport lakes, so there is no shortage of opportunity for a casual paddle up my end.

Top Bottom