The Kayak, Canoe and Small Boat thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The great thing about the blow-molded plastic kayaks was they were inexpensive, (8' for $300 when I bought them) and indestructible. When we would paddle out in the Winter, we would power-paddle them right up onto a concrete boat ramp and not hurt them. We didn't even have to get our feet wet. Same for launching...put it low on the ramp by the water and “scootch it” down until you were floating. Off you go. The bottoms didn't hold their shape as well as fiberglass ones, but they were certainly fun little toy boats. Scootching not recommended for nicer kayaks! Also fun for grandkids to splash around in when filled with water on land. Multipurpose vehicle!
Indeedy, and my rotomoulded yak weighs only 21kg, so its very easy to manhandle onto the car roof or into storage at home.

If you manage to damage or deform one - which takes some doing - they'll usually ping back into shape on their own if left in the warm sun.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Indeedy, and my rotomoulded yak weighs only 21kg, so its very easy to manhandle onto the car roof or into storage at home.

If you manage to damage or deform one - which takes some doing - they'll usually ping back into shape on their own if left in the warm sun.
Remarkably, we're even lighter than that - and can carry 4, their luggage, and a couple of bullocks.

(I made some of that up, but not the bit about the weight ^_^)

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
No go today, my oppo isn't feeling well. Could go on my own but i was loojing forward to seeing him, so we've resheduled.

Of course, I didn't find out until Id lugged the thing out of the rack where it lives and almost had it on the roof of the car! :laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And back to bed it goes.

The Rover

Guru
We went SUP last weekend, well me and the boy, the wife prefers Kayak.
Its at a local activity centre, £12 for an hour, all kit included.
I “ may “ have pushed the boy in during a collision although I went in not long after.

Great fun and very lucky to have it so close to us.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Now SUPing I don't 'get', I have to confess

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed, but im 6'4" and need to be able to walk under it which precludes that. Its well supported at 3 points and never gets warm where its stashed, somim reasonably happy.

And youre very polite John - youre one of the forum's few true gentleman, and would never be a pain.

Top Bottom