The Kayak, Canoe and Small Boat thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Does anyone have a 13 foot SOT ?
I guess they're fairly swift.
About 20 years ago I had an early day Hobie SOT that I believe was 14 feet. It did not have as much buoyancy as most SOT kayaks do today, but it was narrow and cut the water like a knife. I was only 160 pounds at that time, so it was perfect. It had a small bit of storage on the rear end and that was about it. I loved that kayak. Of course it would not turn nearly as easily as one of my smaller 8 foot kayaks, But it could cover distance so easily. It rode pretty low to the water, so it was a wt ride, but could really move. It seems like today they want to make kayaks with enough buoyancy to support a very heavy paddler. That is fine, but it winds up making the kayaks wider and not as aquadynamic. A friend of mine just bought a Hobie kayak with the propellers underneath it, fishing rig, and all that. You could probably drive a car onto one of those and it would be stable. I think the kayak alone weighs something like 65 pounds. But that is a completely different animal. I will see what he says once he has used it for a bit and post something on it here. But light weight long kayaks are really fun. I think the simpler the better.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Yes, mine is 13 foot Ocean Kayak Prowler 13.
The longer the kayak the straighter it travels, some smaller ones in "open water" are a pain in the backside, yes you can put a rudder on them, but that does not make you a better paddler, and that's a fact
So true. A friend of mine and I rented some 21 foot single kayaks, not SOT‘s, but the kind you get into, in Switzerland. He had never kayaked before and I had for a long time. So he got the fiberglass one which also had a rudder on it, mine did not. Wow, talk about making wide turns! But I still had a blast anyway and still don’t prefer having a rudder. Silly, but it feels like cheating. On the way back in we were paddling into a light breeze and water was coming over the decks of both of our kayaks. Talk about cold water! Lake Interlochen is a glacier fed lake. That was some cold water! But such fun. And kayaking is 100% non-polluting. Clean fun.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
We went SUP last weekend, well me and the boy, the wife prefers Kayak.
Its at a local activity centre, £12 for an hour, all kit included.
I “ may “ have pushed the boy in during a collision although I went in not long after.

Great fun and very lucky to have it so close to us.

View attachment 596591

View attachment 596592
It looks like fun, and I would love to try it sometime. Glad you and your son had a blast. I grew up surfing waves on a 6‘1“ surfboard in New Jersey, here in the Sstates. I love speed and surfing fit that ticket. Not sure I would like SUPing as much, but anything on the water HAS to be fun. My wife loves kayaking too, but doesn't want to go “in” so SUPs would not appeal to her. To each his or her own choice I suppose. Fun pictures, keep them coming!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
The best thing I found on a sea kayak was a adjustable drop down skeg, had one on my Point 65 Sea Cruiser, 17'4 and cut through the water like a knife.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member

Ah, clearly the inspiration behind Close to the Edge.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Today’s leisurely paddle to the pub saw ducks, duckings, swans, cygnets, swifts, rooks, warblers, a single buzzard and heron.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
View attachment 597091

View attachment 597092

View attachment 597093

Went sailing for the first time with my neighbours. They share a boat , it was ace . Racing around the bridges on Wed night. Hope to get an invite again !
Yes, sailing is one of the most enjoyable sports there is, in my opinion. Here is a pic of the Mrs. and I on our 16.5 foot Catalina pulling away from a friend on his 23 foot sailboat. When there are light winds, the smaller sailboat win! This was when we lived in Oklahoma. We sailed on an 89,000 square-foot lake called Lake Texoma. I think smaller boats are the most fun. They are more responsive and challenging to sail. My keel was a retractable piece of fiberglass, where are my friend's keel was 600 pounds of lead. On our boat, our bodies serve as ballast. I have also sailed a 21 foot boat in the Pacific ocean without a motor. Owned three little sailboats in my life… A 14 foot Daysailer, the 16.5 Catalina below, and a 16 foot cat boat.

48A25AA8-3FB1-4FD3-A798-45E4CEC828B2.jpeg

Here is a pic of my daughter and I on our cat boat in a covered slip. Note the folding mast. Quite a cool feature. We only kept it in a slip for one year.Then we decided to just put down a concrete pad in our backyard and constructed an aluminum carport over it.

F25B00E9-FBAC-4F7A-87B5-E79170E84A45.jpeg

Sailing is great. Go every chance you get!

Top Bottom