The Kayak, Canoe and Small Boat thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Depnds on what you want, any mobility issues, what youre using it for, all sorts of stuff.

I just completed the 4 part kayaking basics course at Manhattan Kayak Company and am looking forward to exploring the waterways around here. Damn it's expensive though!!! Storage is the issue, I am looking at folding kayaks but not sure if they are worth the fuss

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I just completed the 4 part kayaking basics course at Manhattan Kayak Company and am looking forward to exploring the waterways around here. Damn it's expensive though!!! Storage is the issue, I am looking at folding kayaks but not sure if they are worth the fuss
Look at dropstitch inflatables, perhaps? Really very good indeed these days.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
How much was the course ?

chriswoody

Legendary Member

View: https://youtu.be/7erIBjX-epA

My sister and brother-in-law have bought this one, I'm dead against inflatables in the sea, but they say it is fantastic and nothing like the old ones at all.

The itiwit 3 is a fantastic inflatable kayak, solidly built and great value for money. The whole design is well thought out and the construction is really solid.

As you rightly say though, I really wouldn't be thinking of taking one too sea in the UK, unless it's a dead calm day and you have timed it perfectly for slack water and even then I really wouldn't recommend it. As can be see in the video thumbnail, the gunwhales are really high and as a consequence it's really susceptible to wind, along with a lot of rocker, meaning it handles like a cheap canoe more than a kayak. The width across the gunwhales is also quite large, so I struggle to get a good efficient paddle stroke in.

With taken the middle seat out of ours and whilst I do use my old sea kayak paddles, I do think it would be better suited to a good open canoe paddle. We use ours for messing around on lakes and the calm river by us.

presta

Guru
My kayak has been collecting dust in the garage for 33 years. I stopped paddling when my father died because I didn't have the time with all the work, and then never went back. I couldn't keep up with the others, even the children, so someone who got the short straw would have to hang back wet nursing me whilst the rest of the club disappeared into a dot on the horizon.

How much was the course ?
The course was $302 with tax and tip which is reasonable, I feel. It's the long term costs that pucker me up. $200 a month to store a boat plus the cost of all the gear, then if I become a member, want to join scheduled trips etc etc. If it was an all in type of hobby I am sure that it is worth it but I would only be doing it now and then due to other commitments so the cost per hour on the water seem a little steep.

I am very cheap!

Last edited:
Top Bottom