The kitchen gadgets/equipment thread....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Fab Foodie, 29 Nov 2018.

1. Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

I always thought soup makers were gimmicky but today my sister came down with hers, threw some veg in with water and a stock cube and 20 minutes later served up delicious soup for 5. Thinking about getting one now.

Fab Foodie and raleighnut like this.
  2. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

You can't make proper welshcakes unless the bakestone has been made on the sly at work. My own Nana's was cut out of 1/4" plate at the colliery. I don't with certainty know where it ended up but I hope and expect it's with my aunt

3. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

It is doubly frustrating when they have some plausible looking handles enticingly peeping out of a knife block but are all totally blunt. So you give em a couple of swipes with the presumably unused steel in the drawer, but no; the knives are not in fact top quality global/ sabbatier/wustoff, nor even cheap but good catering knives from sheffield, but in fact utterly shyte blades with pretty handles.

Mind you, my Dad has this fixation with not sharpening anything "else you'llruin the blade" so every single chisel, knife, billhook however good originall is utterly unusable now but mustn't be sharpened

raleighnut likes this.
  4. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails Well-Known Member

Ours will certainly outlast us as my daughter has dibs on it for when we pop our clogs. We're going to her house in London next week and she has her order in for a tin of welshcakes.

5. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails Well-Known Member

We make a lot of soup but have never got a soup maker because even using a saucepan and hand blender it still only takes around 20 mins, with seconds to wash up afterwards. I assume you still have to peel the veg to put in the soup.

raleighnut likes this.
  6. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.

:eek:

Fab Foodie likes this.
  7. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Steels don't sharpen, they hone. Here's the nitty gritty...…

https://www.thekitchn.com/did-you-know-this-steel-doesnt-actually-sharpen-knives-211855

raleighnut and Fab Foodie like this.
  8. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Mmm, surely all these activities are "sharpening" and given they are trying to limit the term "hone" to something no engineer would consider honing (maybe "burnishing" ?) - especially since a diamond or ceramic hone does actually hone in both senses of the word their pedantry is confusing and or wrong even if the overall thrust has some merit

raleighnut likes this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

I can tell you went to college.

10. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Merely agentleman-amateur on engineering matters I'm afraid

11. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I'd go with 'burnishing' as a better term,

View: https://youtu.be/YEP84sKCgF0

12. GM

GM Guru

Not exactly for the kitchen, but just outside the kitchen door. Got a new one of these the other day, the boy uses it for making a curry.....

fk003200-1.jpg

slowmotion, Fab Foodie and raleighnut like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

About the same time it took me to make Celeriac soup today using my new little Pressure cooker and a stick blender then....

raleighnut likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Don't you let him cook in the house?

(Have you got a linky to that?).

GM likes this.
  15. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Looks like a 'Tar Burner' to me

GM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice