The Lake's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
So im getting married on the 3rd of November and our honeymoon is in the lake's, the "wife to be " has allowed me to take the bike so im hoping for a few ride's around and about. :okay:

We are staying in Grathwaite so hoping to few rides around the south lake's.

Has anyone got any rides they have done while touring the lakes?

Thanks. ^_^

D

Deleted member 23692

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Hi Jamie,
Congrats on the nuptuals!
Is it this Grathwaite you are staying at? http://graythwaite.com/index.php
What sort of cycling are you after, road biking, mountain biking? just sightseeing?
I live in the south lakes and could give you a few routes, maybe even meet up, depending on timings etc. (although thinking about it I'll be at work during the day)

So im getting married on the 3rd of November and our honeymoon is in the lake's, the "wife to be " has allowed me to take the bike so im hoping for a few ride's around and about. :okay:

We are staying in Grathwaite so hoping to few rides around the south lake's.

Has anyone got any rides they have done while touring the lakes?

Thanks. ^_^
What a lovely sentiment by your wife -to-be. Hope you have enough energy left for those routes:smooch:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My wife to be has "Allowed" me to take the bike.

This sounds doomed from the beginning. I have been with Jannie for 13 years and we have never had an argument. We don't need to Allow each other to do anything, we just do what we want and it works fine for us.

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Hi Jamie,
Congrats on the nuptuals!
Is it this Grathwaite you are staying at? http://graythwaite.com/index.php
What sort of cycling are you after, road biking, mountain biking? just sightseeing?
I live in the south lakes and could give you a few routes, maybe even meet up, depending on timings etc. (although thinking about it I'll be at work during the day)

Hi,
Yes that's where we are staying its a little cottage on the grounds.
Im looking to take the audax bike so will be road cycling im looking for, just a steady pace and sight seeing.

Weather depending mind :okay:

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
My wife to be has "Allowed" me to take the bike.

This sounds doomed from the beginning. I have been with Jannie for 13 years and we have never had an argument. We don't need to Allow each other to do anything, we just do what we want and it works fine for us.

" This sound's doomed from the begining " how does that work then, we are going away on our honeymoon together where its about spending time with each other, so its only right to "ask" her.

If you dont have to ask to do something then thats up to you and Jannie, but i thought it was only right to do so.

After 8 year's together and a child i don't think its "doomed from the begining" do you ?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Weather depending mind :okay:
Ha ha, yes! Would that be sideways rain or the usual vertical type :rain:
Mind you it can be icy at that time of the year too. Not wanting to put you off, but I broke my collar bone after crashing on some black ice a few years ago at that time of year.
To be honest, you'd be hard pushed not to find anywhere nice to cycle around there. The roads are quieter than the main roads in and out of the honeypot villages anyway. Although compared to most other places I'm sure it will still seem quiet on the road especially at that time of year:thumbsup:
The only road I'd avoid is the A592 between Newby Bridge and Bowness. Its a very fast moving road with a lot of traffic, narrow in places too.

A lap of Lake Coniston is a nice ride, especially the road that skirts the east side of the lake. A good 'out and back' would be to go up to Chapel stile, maybe over to Grasmere. Another nice ride would be heading south to Grange over sands. Taking the left hand turn just over the river Leven bridge on the B5278 takes you over Bigland Hill and drops you down into Cartmel and then over the next hill into Grange over sands. It's a bit of a stiff climb up bigland hill but the views are worth it at the top (the view will be behind you though!) Both Cartmel and Grange are lovely spots for a stop (Cartmel if you prefer a beer, Grange for Cafes)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
" This sound's doomed from the begining " how does that work then, we are going away on our honeymoon together where its about spending time with each other, so its only right to "ask" her.

If you dont have to ask to do something then thats up to you and Jannie, but i thought it was only right to do so.

After 8 year's together and a child i don't think its "doomed from the begining" do you ?

Quite right. Forget him, he's being a knob

I've been married 22 years and I would happily say my wife has "allowed" me to take a bike with me on any holiday, let alone a honeymoon

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another vote for a tootle around Coniston.

My other tip is don't be too ambitious.

You may know this already, but the lakes is a very hilly area.

Thirty odd miles is a good ride around there, although you may be very fit and be able to go further.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The Windermere ferry can be quite handy for cycling - £1 for cyclists, and you only ever have to wait for the next one (15 mins or so) as you can cycle to the front of the queue. Cross the ferry and cycle down through the Lyth valley towards Levens.

The main road between Levens and Barrow looks horrendous for cycling, but there is a cycle path at the east end, then an old road paralleling it and an underpass at Witherslack that gets you onto the lanes leading to Grange. Can make a nice loop like that...

Top Bottom