The Little Run About Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Even a brand new Corrolla hybrid is 101g co2 per km, so 108 for a non hybrid/non turbo 10-15 year old engine isn't bad.

There is something wrong with the figures as a Euro6 hybrid puts out 101g/km

CXRAndy

Guru
Even a brand new Corrolla hybrid is 101g co2 per km, so 108 for a non hybrid/non turbo 10-15 year old engine isn't bad.

There is something wrong with the figures as a Euro6 hybrid puts out 101g/km
Its probably because hybrids are a con trick. I openly admit I was conned too.

Once you own one, quickly realise that its just an ICE carrying a battery for anything over 15miles trip. Not many bother charging the battery to help with tiny trips. The self charging hybrids are even worse, using a large amount of extra fuel to recharge the ting battery pack.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Once you own one, quickly realise that its just an ICE carrying a battery for anything over 15miles trip. Not many bother charging the battery to help with tiny trips. The self charging hybrids are even worse, using a large amount of extra fuel to recharge the ting battery pack.

I don't think you'll find many ICE cars with much lower than 100g CO2 emissions. SIL has a Prius and it's actually worse on fuel than the old diesel Avensis they had, and much worse than our old Yaris could do. The Aygo is even better.

CXRAndy

Guru
Current Ford Fiesta 1.0 eco boost is 120g
Yaris hybrid 92g
Honda Jazz 102g

So the 15 year old Aygo/C1 engine is pretty comparable.
Multiply up all these economical yet polluting vehicles and we arrive at millions of tonnes of extra C02, NOX, THC needlessly being emitted into the air of the population in urban areas.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Multiply up all these economical yet polluting vehicles and we arrive at millions of tonnes of extra C02, NOX, THC needlessly being emitted into the air of the population in urban areas.

No vehicles are the answer, but these more frugal cars are better than your panzers - but hey ho, mummy has to run little 'Henry' and 'Daisy' to the school in a tank.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Anyway, back on thread....

I couldn't get the AUX in to work with my phone, might be the fact that the USBC to 3.5mm adapter isn't compatible. Works fine with my son's phone as he has a headphone jack. I'm fine with radio and CD, but kids these days.... :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member

Not at all. Used properly they did what they said on the tin. If people cant be bothered to charge them then thats operator error, not the fault of the vehicle. Mrs D's T8 would take her to work and back all week on battery, then down to Kent or up to scotland at the weekend without pause, something we won't be attempting in her Polestar.

Indeed, our regular Pious used to give between 70 and 85 mpg, without the emissions that a similarly performing diesel gives (not that there were any diesels then beyond tiny cars thar genuinly did that anyway). Again, its a question of operating them correctly - drive it in the manner required and it yielded the high MPGs. This required some dilligence and a little though, ie, "effort", something which most people are allegic to, but was not difficult and did not impede progress. Conversely, drive it like a regular car, mash the loud pedal, blat hard up to the speed limit or beyond every time, andnit woukd struggle to return 50mpg.

The ICE motor only charged the battery whennit had spare load capacity - whether or not it was charging it would have to run anyway, but instead of running at an ineffocient speed to provide sufficient load to propel the vehicle alone that spare load was used to charge the battery. Thermodynamically speaking they were rsther more effeicient than just an ICE engine, and taken to extremes like in F1 they hover around the 50% mark, which is remakable. To suggest they are inefficient because the engine also charges the battery (not to mention regenerative charging) is inaccurate. ICE engines alone have a very narrow efficient operating rsnge, hence gearbixes being invented, and outside of that narrow range it is more effieint to use spare ppwer capacity to charge a battery to power an electric motor than it is to rely on the petrol engine alone.

In each case cited above the car provided the tools, and its hardly the fault of the car or the architecture behind them if people don't bother operating them correctly. When we sold the T8 the dealer told us they would commonly see them returned with the charging lead still in its factory wrapping in the boot and by having used ours we were very much in a minority - drivers being stupid/lazy/ignorant is hardly a con trick on the part of anyone. Hell, if you treated an electric car the same way and never plugged that in either then by your measure that would be an even worse con trick.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Not to mention the harmful ozones, and brake and tyre particulates (typically more than 50% of a conventional cars particulate emissions) that elecreic cars produce. Of course, if you live next door to the gas powered power station that has to work extra hard to charge these vehicles then you may have your own views on air pollution.

And then theres my own Volvo. Every single MOT it has emitted no detectable smoke, ie, particulate emissions. The levels were so low they do not even trigger the machine. The claims about air polltuion are not a universal truth, and the reality is incredibly diverse, complex, and interconnected.

There is no free lunch pollution wise with powered vehicles. They all cause air pollution somehow, somewhere. In the case of electric vehicles like Mrs D's car they trade a modest reduction in cradle to grave CO2 emissions for a massive rise in industrial chemical pollution and irreversible damage to water tables from the 50,000 to 2 million litres of fresh water required to produce a kilogram of lithium carbinate or hydroxidemfor their batteries. This massive polkution and environmental damage is rarely considered by people rushing tompush their environmental credentials.

Pollution wise all we are doing is shuffling pieces around the board and maybe changing the nature of the pollution. They still pollute, and while they do so less while in use, the rise and diversification of that pollution during production is massive.

Mrs D has an electric car and is a convert. I don't, im not. Anyone who claims to care about the environment or the health of their fellow humans and holds up their electric car ownership as a sign of virtue is an idiot. If they reall, really cared they would not use a car at all, but the typical reality is that people usually manage to find excuses as to why their need for a car is more important than than the pollution caused in its manufacture, use and disposal.

No vehicles are the answer, but these more frugal cars are better than your panzers - but hey ho, mummy has to run little 'Henry' and 'Daisy' to the school in a tank.

To be fair Foss, most of the cars lined up outside our village school are modest hatchbacks. They outnumber the big saloons and chelsea tractors by a big margin.

I - occasionally - drive my tank (never to school), but im doing a lot less damage to the health and environment thatpn these mums driving their Festers and i10s 500 metres to school and back on cold engines twice a day.

The real cost to environment largely isn't in the type of vehicle, but rather in how the fools use them. In all areas of consideration, be it pollution, congestion and danger, my 800-900 miles a year in a tank compares extremely favourably to 12,000 a year in a fiesta or an e-car.

I like small cars. No, I love them. I'm a fan. But use them excessively an inappropriately and us drivers compleyely undermine the benefitsmof having a small car in the first place.

Personal sized, one or 2 seat electric cars, perhaps Twizy sized but with a proper cabin, would be great if people could be persuqded to adopt them. Id have one. This new Citroen is on the right ljnes, although with a 30mph top speed its inappropriate for anywhere except town use, and the town is really the last place one should be encouraging people to drive a carmof any type. But yes, micro electeic cars, massievely less resources, smaller footprint, less load on generation capacity, cheaper, but people will never go for it. Theyd rather buy 2 tonnes of Tesla or Polestar, drive around with 4 empty seats and then lecture the rest of us about how theyre good for the environment.

Quite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Sunday morning, I popped off each wheel and had a look around the suspension/discs. Wheels had not been taken off in 4 years since the tyres were fitted, so application of kicking the rear wheels got them off. One front wheel needed a torque bar to get one set of nuts off all the way... (no coppa slip to be seen).

Lots of minor surface corrosion on suspension arms etc, so I set about brushing all that lot off, corner by corner. Then each corner was treated with anti rust on the suspension. Noticed front disks/pads in places aren't biting properly, so will change the lot soon (max £75 for two discs and pads from Brembo - £40 for no name stuff...). Got some underseal spray on order to treat any other bits I couldn't paint.

No spare wheel, so got a kit, and then purchased some interlocking 'fitness' mats. Two together at 15mm thick strengthened the boot floor over the wheel well, as the spare wheel cover had nothing to sit on. The mats have actually made a massive difference to noise from the pea shooter exhaust. ^_^

My son's fairly impressed about it's performance in traffic - it's flipping nippy upto 30, and can get onto a motorway OK, but don't expect more after 70 MPH. - Bloody Perfect IMHO.

Fitted some new wheel trims, as re-furbing the Toyota ones were more costly in paint and materials than fitting some quality 'Ring' trims - just a no brainer, and the new trims look great.

Remote locking now working, new battery and cleaned up contacts.

After market mats fitted - only £25, but blue piping matches car and they are hard wearing.

It's a nice little run about...

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Little Luigi now

Son's car in bits to left, my old car to right.

CXRAndy

Guru
Not at all. Used properly they did what they said on the tin. If people cant be bothered to charge them then thats operator error, not the fault of the vehicle. Mrs D's T8 would take her to work and back all week on battery, then down to Kent or up to scotland at the weekend without pause, something we won't be attempting in her Polestar.

Indeed, our regular Pious used to give between 70 and 85 mpg, without the emissions that a similarly performing diesel gives (not that there were any diesels then beyond tiny cars thar genuinly did that anyway). Again, its a question of operating them correctly - drive it in the manner required and it yielded the high MPGs. This required some dilligence and a little though, ie, "effort", something which most people are allegic to, but was not difficult and did not impede progress. Conversely, drive it like a regular car, mash the loud pedal, blat hard up to the speed limit or beyond every time, andnit woukd struggle to return 50mpg.

The ICE motor only charged the battery whennit had spare load capacity - whether or not it was charging it would have to run anyway, but instead of running at an ineffocient speed to provide sufficient load to propel the vehicle alone that spare load was used to charge the battery. Thermodynamically speaking they were rsther more effeicient than just an ICE engine, and taken to extremes like in F1 they hover around the 50% mark, which is remakable. To suggest they are inefficient because the engine also charges the battery (not to mention regenerative charging) is inaccurate. ICE engines alone have a very narrow efficient operating rsnge, hence gearbixes being invented, and outside of that narrow range it is more effieint to use spare ppwer capacity to charge a battery to power an electric motor than it is to rely on the petrol engine alone.

In each case cited above the car provided the tools, and its hardly the fault of the car or the architecture behind them if people don't bother operating them correctly. When we sold the T8 the dealer told us they would commonly see them returned with the charging lead still in its factory wrapping in the boot and by having used ours we were very much in a minority - drivers being stupid/lazy/ignorant is hardly a con trick on the part of anyone. Hell, if you treated an electric car the same way and never plugged that in either then by your measure that would be an even worse con trick.
I had the T8, beautifully kitted out, but poor EV range. Electric range started at 21miles dropped to 18 miles after a year. Long runs would average 37mpg. If you wanted to charge the battery whilst driving it would hammer the mpg. If you selected electric only the car would ignore you start the engine for a couple of minutes then switch off. Overly complicated vehicle.

Traded for Model S long range- not looked back

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I had the T8, beautifully kitted out, but poor EV range. Electric range started at 21miles dropped to 18 miles after a year. Long runs would average 37mpg. If you wanted to charge the battery whilst driving it would hammer the mpg. If you selected electric only the car would ignore you start the engine for a couple of minutes then switch off. Overly complicated vehicle.

Traded for Model S long range- not looked back

Electric cars and monster trucks have their own thread >>> that way :whistle: ^_^

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Next jobs are preventative - these are known to leak from the rear tailgate, seals round the wiring for the lights, and the high level brake light, so I'll be checking the light housings etc and re-sealing. It's dry currently but it's a 'common' issue (even water get's in where the tail gate bump stops are- due to how the water flows round the seal for the glass boot).

Top Bottom