The Little Run About Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The bent exhaust bolt isn't moving, so it's staying there until we may need a new mid section pipe eventually. In the mean time I've ordered a small stainless 'c' clamp that I'll use to secure the "not fully attached side" - the exhaust isn't leaking, but just to be safe.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Not updated this for a while. We had a random 'airbag' light come on after Christmas. Checked everything and couldn't find a fault. Came on again during Feb, so bought a new code reader. Initially the reader reported it couldn't connect to the air bag control module. Unplugged the module, and reconnected it. Bingo - Code for Clock Spring showing.

A used part was bought then fitted. Bingo the light went out. A couple of weeks later, light on again. Couldn't get the reader to connect. Tried again with another clock spring, no change.

Hmm, wonder if the control unit has gone faulty. Another search on ebay, £20 for a used C1 control unit (same part number). Fitted that, and the light went out, and has been for over a month and about 1,000 miles.

It's currently back in service as son's run about, as his car's clutch went after a long track day ! He's got a spare, but the weather hasn't been kind. Add to that, my son was made redundant, so his van has gone back.

The Aygo went to London and back last weekend, just over 500 miles.

It will be due an oil change shortly.

KneesUp

Guru
Not updated this for a while. We had a random 'airbag' light come on after Christmas. Checked everything and couldn't find a fault. Came on again during Feb, so bought a new code reader. Initially the reader reported it couldn't connect to the air bag control module. Unplugged the module, and reconnected it. Bingo - Code for Clock Spring showing.

A used part was bought then fitted. Bingo the light went out. A couple of weeks later, light on again. Couldn't get the reader to connect. Tried again with another clock spring, no change.

Hmm, wonder if the control unit has gone faulty. Another search on ebay, £20 for a used C1 control unit (same part number). Fitted that, and the light went out, and has been for over a month and about 1,000 miles.

It's currently back in service as son's run about, as his car's clutch went after a long track day ! He's got a spare, but the weather hasn't been kind. Add to that, my son was made redundant, so his van has gone back.

The Aygo went to London and back last weekend, just over 500 miles.

It will be due an oil change shortly.

I've just had to strip down the indicator stalk on our C1 because it wouldn't indicate right.

Good news - it now indicates right.

Bad news - the airbag light is now flashing.

EDIT - all works - idiot here hadn't pressed in the little tab on the plug connecting the airbag to the clock-spring

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Good stuff.
I've just had to strip down the indicator stalk on our C1 because it wouldn't indicate right.

Good news - it now indicates right.

Bad news - the airbag light is now flashing.

EDIT - all works - idiot here hadn't pressed in the little tab on the plug connecting the airbag to the clock-spring

Common fault the indicators.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Son totalled the little polo.
Brought for £600 insurance valuation £1800!!

Nice ! One small result. **Help towards his next insurance…….? 😳

Think I paid £8750 for my MX-5 approx 2 years ago - on a forecourt with warranty etc. Just been offered £10k as it sits - by a trader. And lowest year / model on eBay with double the miles of mine is £12k.

For a 10 year old car that was probably less than double that new: that’s completely nuts. Owning / buying a car these days is no chump change….

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Nice ! One small result. **Help towards his next insurance…….? 😳

Think I paid £8750 for my MX-5 approx 2 years ago - on a forecourt with warranty etc. Just been offered £10k as it sits - by a trader. And lowest year / model on eBay with double the miles of mine is £12k.

For a 10 year old car that was probably less than double that new: that’s completely nuts. Owning / buying a car these days is no chump change….

Its nuts. Same age Aygo in forecourt near our caravan £3.5k. Bought ours for £2k 16 months ago. OK we've spent a bit on it (about £1k) but exhausts and clutches are one of the things with a 12 year old car.

Madness.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Its nuts. Same age Aygo in forecourt near our caravan £3.5k. Bought ours for £2k 16 months ago. OK we've spent a bit on it (about £1k) but exhausts and clutches are one of the things with a 12 year old car.

Madness.

Is it the same 3 cylinder lump in the Aygo than it is in the (Certainly older Yaris’s were 1.0 litre 3 cylinder) Yaris ?

Has yours been good generally ?

My wife’s car is starting to suffer electrical issues. I’d like to replace with perhaps a circa 16-18 plate Yaris later this year. Figuring small Japanese reliability will be just what she needs…..

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Is it the same 3 cylinder lump in the Aygo than it is in the (Certainly older Yaris’s were 1.0 litre 3 cylinder) Yaris ?

Has yours been good generally ?

My wife’s car is starting to suffer electrical issues. I’d like to replace with perhaps a circa 16-18 plate Yaris later this year. Figuring small Japanese reliability will be just what she needs…..

Same engine in all three, C1, Aygo, 106.

Ours had done about 105k now. Engine been fine. The car had been serviced regular, but basics weren't done, like shot front discs and pads (£38 to replace), new whole exhaust was costly as the cat manifold had cracked and needed two sensors too. Alternator was replaced and a new clutch as the thrust bearing went (cost difference was minimal as its labour).

Ive done most of the jobs, and its sorted now. Daughter's test is in May.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I spotted this same as mine, but with a glass not a canvas/soft top roof Fiat 500 today. I paid about £3,500 for mine in April last year. I don't know the mileage on this for sale Fiat, but it's a hell of a price compared to what I paid, even if it has very low mileage! 🤔

nc_ohc=qjKYJ9s4jtsAX_OIcDb&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=Wzb7frGmQf0AX8x12Y3&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As posted in the Car Insurance thread (Money Matters sub-forum) my late mum's car is currently with me, rather than it sitting for 6 months or so as probate happens. It'll wend it's way to son no. 1 if he passes his driving test, otherwise it stays with me as executor until someone tells me otherwise.

It's a little 2012 Vauxhall Agila, looking like the Opel photo below from Wikipedia or the Suzuki Splash it's based on. Shorter than SWMBO's Honda Jazz, but wider, and heavier. It'll do for commuting into Leeds as I struggle to get the Honda CR-V into my work's underground car park as that has height restrictions (I've bike racks on top of roof bars on the CR-V).

1280px-Opel_Agila_B_front-2.jpg

Having done 13,500 miles in 11 years, and mostly 150-300 miles a year for the past 7 years, it'll get used quite a bit more. This morning I've cleaned off the moss / dust / cobwebs as SWMBO's borrowing it on Friday when her Honda's in for an MOT. Oh, and I put air in the almost-flat tyres which should help.

First impressions are that it's a bit 'tinny' and less solid compared to the Honda CR-V and Saab 9-3 Aero I've used previously, but not that much different from my old Peugeot Partner Tepee son no. 2 currently has. SWMBO's Honda Jazz also feels better put-together and equipped. However, there's few things to go wrong as it only has electric windows and mirrors, which appear to be heated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom