the Lookout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordjenks

anyone been?? in berkshire? i was told by a roadie who was helping me out that is wasa pretty good so im gonna take my hunk of junk (bso) down there and brake something:smile:

Norm

It is very good, IMO, but it can be busy in the car parks. Once into the forest, it's pretty empty, though.

I think the charge for a day pass is £2. As it is private (Crown Estate) land, they need insurance etc and the fees cover that.

The "expert" section can be as expert as you want it to be. Some of the down hills are pretty daunting, with big drops and jumps, but I've taken my two kids there several times and we've never had a problem and always had fun.

It's a big area. Buy a map when you get there or, if you are tight-fisted (like me) download it and print yourself a copy.

There's a snack bar / cafe there which isn't too pricey, so you shouldn't need to take refreshments other than liquids when you are out playing.

Norm

Oh, the other thing which always amazes me, is the number of walkers and dogs.

Given that we are meant to be the bane of such people (ask any member of the RA for more details), it's great to see such a diversity of countryside users getting along just fine with each other. (And I usually use the dog walkers as an excuse to stop and chat... whilst having a breather ;) )

mike e

I went a few years back and it's pretty good riding, the best singletrack is in the south western corner of the forest so it's fairly quiet away from the hustle and bustle of the visitor centre. Have fun...;)

OP
OP
L

lordjenks

sweet i cant wait.. i have a shogun jackel, not a real bso but not amazing, i can ride well and can cope with just bout everything ( i motocrossed and green laned since a 6yr old) but how do you think my bike will hold up??

Norm

Bike should be fine... depending on what you do with it.

To get a feel of the terrain, check out YouTube videos, there are about a million on there.

This one is a personal favourite, although it doesn't show the terrain, I reckon that's a very well made film. And no, I didn't make it. :biggrin:

The gulley is probably the main area for the show-boaters, although there's other places which you can use to mash your bike into the geography.:cheers:

barq

Ah Swinley Forest. I like it very much. Fire roads to take you out to the trails and then a nice mix of single track and drop offs. I'd say there is enough there to keep most varieties of MTBers happy. I always head towards the reservoir and tend to find a bunch of stuff around there.

Top Bottom