The lubricating effects of beer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Been a bit constipated over the last few days with unpleasant side effects - see my post about wind.

Necked a pint of bitter last night and the consequences this morning have been pretty impressive - I feel about two kilos lighter! I know that beer (we're talking real beer here, not Euro-fizz) contains pectin, which is a natural lubricant. My cycling buddy is a gastroenterologist and he tells me that professional cyclists are now using washouts or enemas to empty the bowel on the morning of a race. I'm not sure if this is primarily for weight reduction or to remove the possibility of a need to stop during the race but since he told me they are also riding "dry", i.e. not drinking, to keep weight down I'd guess it's the former reason.

My biggest worry on events like trailquests and sportives is getting the business done before starting the ride. I wonder how others cope with this problem; has anybody tried drinking beer or taking anything like ispahagula husk (Fybogel) the evening before an event?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Riding Dry

I am amazed that proffesional riders are riding dehydrated seems to go against all common sense and normal advice.

I know that the foreign legion limits the water intake of their soldiers on long hot desert marches to a tiny fraction of the amount the british Army recommends.Seems odd but the Legion are the experts in that field.

I would think that one pint of quality beer the night before could only be good ,trouble is I dont often drink one pint then its hard to know if its the beer or the Vindaloo after thats having the desired effect;)

ASC1951

Guru
Globalti said:
Been a bit constipated over the last few days

My biggest worry on events like trailquests and sportives is getting the business done before starting the ride. I wonder how others cope with this problem; has anybody tried drinking beer or taking anything like ispahagula husk (Fybogel) the evening before an event?
Not a good thing, constipation.

Psyllium husks are all very well, but what you really need is soluble fibre rather than roughage. Just eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg and preferably a cereal breakfast. I have my home made muesli, which is big on seeds (especially linseed) and oatbran. I have a thorough empty within five minutes of getting up every morning and never need to go again that day.

[Some people need to go twice a day, but anything less than once a day is not desirable and constipation is positively harmful as well as being uncomfortable. Do you eat lots of meat, by any chance?]

monnet

Guru
Banjo said:
I am amazed that proffesional riders are riding dehydrated seems to go against all common sense and normal advice.

Isn't there an old cycling adage - drier is faster? Stems from way back but given how traditional the sport is I guess they will still be heeding the advice.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
ASC1951 said:
Not a good thing, constipation.

Psyllium husks are all very well, but what you really need is soluble fibre rather than roughage. Just eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg and preferably a cereal breakfast. I have my home made muesli, which is big on seeds (especially linseed) and oatbran. I have a thorough empty within five minutes of getting up every morning and never need to go again that day.

[Some people need to go twice a day, but anything less than once a day is not desirable and constipation is positively harmful as well as being uncomfortable. Do you eat lots of meat, by any chance?]

No - actually I eat lots of fruit and veg and bran and I'm usually regular but the problems always start after riding and not drinking enough - the first place the body goes to find extra water is the large bowel and that's what causes the dryness, in my belief. My cycling buddy tells me that there's a massive amount of water in circulation between the stomach and the large bowel, liquefying the stomach contents so that the nutrients can be absorbed in the small intestine then being removed in the large bowel and recirculated many times a day.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Globalti said:
No - actually I eat lots of fruit and veg and bran and I'm usually regular but the problems always start after riding and not drinking enough - the first place the body goes to find extra water is the large bowel and that's what causes the dryness, in my belief.
Ditto!

It happened a few times before I worked out what was going on.

I find it important to make sure that I don't eat too late the evening before a long ride which has an early start. If you normally eat at 18:30 and subsequently have a bowel movement at 07:30 the following morning, that's a gap of 13 hours. So what happens when you eat at 20:00 and expect to leave the house on your bike at 07:00? Yep, that's only 11 hours so your body probably won't quite be ready. So, you set off intending to find a cafe or public toilets somewhere on the ride. There is a bit of a delay in finding somewhere suitable and by the time you eventually get to the cafe/toilets then the dehydration thing has kicked in. Result - a ride where you feel sluggish and a day of constipation.

I suggest eating earlier than normal the day before a ride and make sure that what you eat will be digested quickly. Make sure that you are well hydrated. Get up early and have a good breakfast at least 2 hours before you intend to go out. A strong coffee can not only perk you up ready for the ride, but can also give the old bowels a hint that they'd better get working. The only problem is if you get your timing slightly wrong, then it could be hop-behind-a-hedge time early in your ride. Not so bad in the summer when you won't be wearing much but potentially hazardous when you are wearing multiple layers of winter clothing! ;)

ASC1951

Guru
Globalti said:
the first place the body goes to find extra water is the large bowel and that's what causes the dryness, in my belief.
Yes, that's absolutely right.

The only time I get dehydrated like that is if I forget to drink enough on a long cool ride, but that only affects me the morning after an event. I'm slightly puzzled why it should affect you before the audax, if you normally have enough water in your diet.

I find that when I am cycling a lot that my "travel time" gets very short - I can eat late and get rid of the lot first thing in the morning - I do make sure that I am well hydrated over night by having a drink close to hand if I wake up - normally orange juice - at home I tend to eat lots of fruit and salad - but on tour tend towards as many calories as I can stuff - seems to make no difference as long as I am drinking regularly overnight.

The early morning coffee is definetly the signal to the body that it is time!

Top Bottom