The M1 cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeonaBike

Reported yesterday that police removed a cyclist from the M1 motorway near Luton. The man, an East European, had just arrived into Luton Airport and headed off towards London on the motorway; he obviously acquired the bike rather quickly......! I didn't know that Luton Airport sold bicycles!

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'm sure the coverage in the press will be even and present all the details.

Then again it could have been Kwiatkowski, pretty sure he could do 70mph...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The M1 shoulder is probably nicer than the A5183/A5 legal route, as long as it's not been converted to Automatic Traffic Management (hard shoulder traffic lane) yet. Will any reports mention that the official Luton to London cycle route (NCR 6) is via Uxbridge???

young Ed

Veteran
there was one or two on motorways last year i believe, there is at least one each year usually. sometimes kids on BMX's taking a short cut, be this a shortcut to their destination or a shortcut to their death! and sometimes something like they got confused/lost or their phone cycling satnav app led them their
Cheers Ed

flyingfish

His saddle was low

That very nearly happened to me at an East European airport. I cycled out of Belgrade airport following the only signs I could see to the town - no obvious 'motorway' signs, but I gradually realised that this nice fast road looked rather like an M-way sliproad. Followed by sharp braking and riding the wrong way back up the hard shoulder.

You would have been fine: most of that section of the road has an 80 kph limit:okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I managed it once for a couple of minutes in Holland. The excellent cycle path seemed to come to a dead end in some hateful Milton Keynes-like new city about 15 miles south of Amsterdam. I ventured on to the road next door. Big mistake, and a lot of aggression from the passing cars. I scuttled off into the vegetation.

Reactions: _aD

subaqua

What’s the point
The M1 shoulder is probably nicer than the A5183/A5 legal route, as long as it's not been converted to Automatic Traffic Management (hard shoulder traffic lane) yet. Will any reports mention that the official Luton to London cycle route (NCR 6) is via Uxbridge???
It is smart motorway.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Why? It's probably safer than bits of the A38 that are legal to ride.

Well it was Salford, so someone might mug him for his bike ^_^

Assuming he was planning on travelling just one junction, as it happens the parallel road is probably safer apart from the tram tracks. Beyond one junction he would definitely be coffin dodging.:smile:

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom