The male syndrome?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Just pointing out that not all cyclists are doing it on two wheels

Yes, there have been some interesting threads (mainly on cycles for less able people, that just happened to be the topic at the time), where I saw videos of three and four wheel bikes.

The three wheeled hand pedal bike I saw during London FreeRide was quite fascinating (from a technical view point) to see.

Oh, and don't get me started on the trailer thread where in Australia they were all shocked a woman had her child in a bike trailer on the road.
They seemed a bit narrow minded in their views, in that they had a view that she was putting the childs life in danger by towing them in a bike trailer rather than having them in a car...

Misusawa

Oh, and don't get me started on the trailer thread where in Australia they were all shocked a woman had her child in a bike trailer on the road.
They seemed a bit narrow minded in their views, in that they had a view that she was putting the childs life in danger by towing them in a bike trailer rather than having them in a car...

You should see some of the inventive and sometimes home made child carrying devices that Dutch cyclists use!

Frood42

I know where my towel is
You should see some of the inventive and sometimes home made child carrying devices that Dutch cyclists use!

I have seen some of those bikes with the big wooden basket on the front, where you can fit two children, seen some around London, I thought they were great!

joebike.JPG

Misusawa

I have seen some of those bikes with the big wooden basket on the front, where you can fit two children, seen some around London, I thought they were great!

joebike.JPG

That looks like one of the many designs. I'm surprised you have seen some in London, I would have thought the H&S people would have had a heart attack if one turned up with kids in!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
There is no obligation to signal when going straight across a roundabout. Not in my car anyway....

I only signal when another road user needs to know my intentions. I do not signal pointlessly when there's no other car, pedestrian or cyclist in sight. Applying this requires that you know what's going on around you, naturally.
Yes there is. You are supposed to signal your way OUT of a roundabout, so that other people know where you intend to leave the roundabout.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
There is nothing worse than a smoker who has given up , preaching their new found experience to an audience that has known this for ever.
As smoking is now as big a sin as murder its time for cycle converts, to take that epiphany experience, and preach to the world what the world already knows.

I have a white car and to any car hater, it has a footprint the size of a small moon, when in reality modern cars do less damage than McDonalds cows.

oldroadman

Veteran
Simple fact. we are all human and make mistakes. There are alos some poor drivers, possibly arrogant. There are probably, in the same proportion, poor and/or arrogant bike riders as well. A trip to London will reveal all. As driver of a German car (hate mail to xxxxxxx!), I work to the advanced standard to which I have been trained, signalling when it will be useful to other road users (including pedestrians). Explained to me thus: "Signalling is like a conversation between you and the person(s) you are informing of your intentions, if there is no-one to inform then you should not inform yoursewlf, just get on with it. The cavat is, that observation must be excellent with a decent standard of driving/cycling."
Not hard.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
That looks like one of the many designs. I'm surprised you have seen some in London, I would have thought the H&S people would have had a heart attack if one turned up with kids in!

H&S pffftttt :tongue: :laugh:

Saw a few at the FreeRide London weekend.
Apart from that only seen a couple on London streets, they seem to be a rare sight, which is a shame.

Top Bottom