The Man in The High Castle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4050707, member: 259"]Pavane is a splendid book and it's genuinely scary in parts. Funny how libraries and bookshops always stuck it in the science fiction section.[/QUOTE]

well it is science fiction - remember not all science fiction is crap, and at its best science fiction explores ideas and can be great literature. The older label Speculative fiction, may be more apt for the better stuff.

1984, arguably the best novel of the 20th century, and almost certainly the most influencial / important is science fiction too.

Of course, there is an awful lot of ropey genre SF - EE Smith, Asimov (some good ideas but woeful writing), but on the other hand, some teriffic writing from PKD and others, despite churning 'em out

Levo-Lon

Guru
I ejoyed the end..and as i suspected. I like stuff like this.

Tin Pot

Guru
Ok, so changed my mind and watched the whole series since posting on this thread.

It's good.

I would have preferred they made a single series as it is a bit slow paced, but the second series should up the ante a bit. If they make it.

Character development kicks up a gear about midway through the series, so it does require hanging in for a while.

I hope some right wing people watch it and get the reasons to be vigilant against fascism. In fact, an allegorical drama on Hitlers rise might be pertinent about now for France and the US.

Personally I think Robert Harris did the alternate history thing better with Fätherland.

Tin Pot

Guru
well it is science fiction - remember not all science fiction is crap, and at its best science fiction explores ideas and can be great literature. The older label Speculative fiction, may be more apt for the better stuff.

1984, arguably the best novel of the 20th century, and almost certainly the most influencial / important is science fiction too.

Of course, there is an awful lot of ropey genre SF - EE Smith, Asimov (some good ideas but woeful writing), but on the other hand, some teriffic writing from PKD and others, despite churning 'em out

Separating Doc E E Smith, with only a comma, from Asimov is heinous.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I think I enjoyed it, but I'm too confused to be sure

and thats the point...i think..makes you think and makes you wonder..

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Well a little harsh perhaps, as some of Asimov's ideas are quite good - and very enjoyable when you're about 12, but Doc Smith - oh dear !

I read an Asimov book recently, The Gods Themselves. I thought the writing was good. A plot device was the strong nuclear force, which is quite advanced for 12.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I read an Asimov book recently, The Gods Themselves. I thought the writing was good. A plot device was the strong nuclear force, which is quite advanced for 12.

One of his better ones. I rather enjoyed Pebble in the Sky too. Well, I was enthralled by Foundation but dipped into it as an adult and found it awfull

Top Bottom