The Man in The High Castle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Interestingly its based on a story by Phillip K Dick, have Google on what other films are based on his books. I wish I would have written them :smile:

Shaun
The book is one of my favourites so I would mind seeing this, but don't really want to cross Amazon's palm with silver.

The screenwriter (I think) was interviewed a few weeks ago on BBC 5 live, and he said they'd had to work hard to develop a more conventional plot and fill out the characters because the book, like a lot of Philip K Dick's writing, is more about the ideas than the storytelling.

Gawd there's some moany old tosspots about, stick to Coronation Street then you nobbers.
I've got to change my CV now. One of my claimed attributes was my determination to see things through to the end - I've watched entire series of The Wire through in one sitting.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It looked intriguing in the adverts / trailers, but not enough to warrant £79 for Amazon Prime.
From the majority of posts above, it seems I was right not to take the plunge. I'll add the book to the Xmas list ;)

the book is one of Dick's very best, which is is saying something, though does slighlty unravel at the end (a phildickian trait) maybe. It's the journey rather than destination so not really a criticism. Almost any sci fi movie that was any good is based on a PKD book.
Not seen this series, but could be tempted - but not signing up for amazon prime just for this.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Episode One is good.
Episodes two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and nine are filler.
Episode Ten is good.

Would have made a good two-episode show.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Anyone else see photos of the subway carriage Amazon decorated to promote it? LINK
Horribly bad taste.
Something that may make a more interesting motion picture referencing alternative history may be Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore, one early attempt at alternative history fiction. Maybe not so popular in England. Plot is that the Confederate States of America wins the American Civil War. CSA goes on to win most of South America, bringing them into conflict with the British Empire and probable war with The German Empire.

Last edited:

SeanM

I liked it, but i haven't read the book. I also didn't find anything offensive about the adverts either, promoting a fictional series about a fictional end to a war. Rather clever i thought.

Looking forward to watching Jessica Jones, and will check out that Bring the Jubilee, sounds interesting. Surely Watchmen was the best example so far of an alternative history ?, though the movie was heavily criticized by the purists (as ever).

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Horribly bad taste.
Something that may make a more interesting motion picture referencing alternative history may be Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore, one early attempt at alternative history fiction. Maybe not so popular in England. Plot is that the Confederate States of America wins the American Civil War. CSA goes on to win most of South America, bringing them into conflict with the British Empire and probable war with The German Empire.

I'll have to give that one a go. It's very well regarded.and in a list of 100 best sci fi I've got in a book somewhere.

Another " alternative" book is Keith Roberts "Pavanne" the premise being a europe still dominated by catholiscism and (hence) backward by our standards - and yet in the coda of the book it admits the repression yet says there was no Belsen, no Paschendale etc which does make you think. A fine book I must re-read.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Watched it free on Putlocker. Interesting concept, started well, went a bit flat in the middle and ended in a 'Bobby Ewing waking up in the shower moment'. Me and the missus looked at each other and said 'WTF was that all about?'.
Typical American production. Obviously expensive to make - but they can't help losing the plot. It could have been so much better.
Glad I didn't pay Amazon for the privilege!

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I plan to watch it at some point but there actually quite a few good shows out now. Looking forward to "The Expanse" which comes out this month, the books are some of my favourites so hopefully they do it justice.

Top Bottom