The Man Who Cycled The World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Just watched it BBCi. Thanks for the tip off. What a great programme and what a clued up nice bloke too.
I'm in awe!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Tonight he was crossing Asia, some of the photograph was awesome, well worth watching...

Renard

Missed last night's but saw it tonight. When the everyday details are examined it made me realise just how challenging his feat was. The rat infested motel bedroom is quite a thought to get your head around.

Deefex

Like everyone else, I'm enjoying the programme immensely. I was interested in finding out more about some of the specific components he kitted his bike with but the official website lacked detail. However, from watching the program I have seen he has

- Rolhoff hub
- Sella pro-strike saddle (looks vicious but big gap to save your spuds)
- Schwalbe Marathon (Plus?) tyres
- Rolhoff hub gearing (nice but pricey)
- Ortlieb panniers (no other choice in my eyes. the best)

Didn't care for the butterfly handlebars (How would you get out of the headwinds?).

The other thing I found disturbing was the number of broken spokes he had, although from the programme he suggested that the spokes were weaker because they had been tailored to accommodate the rolhoff hub. I would have expected a problem like this to be addressed when the bike was built.

Tony

I met Mark in Western Australia, and he came across as a thoroughly nice chap. I was going to say "ordinary", but he is far from that. On Monday he will be crossing Australia, and I will have to get that taped by someone as I am off riding abroad.
I loved the comment he made on the phone as we had cold drinks in a roadhouse: "I'm just about to cross the Nullarbor, can I call you back?"

yenrod

How I managed to watch the 2nd episode then the 1st is beyond me but cant wait for the 3rd...

The interviews great too ! ;):tongue::tongue::tongue:

What cyclings all about...

Brilliant achievement !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brock

Whoever built the wheels needs a good talking to, modifying spokes to accommodate the Rohloff?? Does't sound right, and punctures due to a sliver of metal which was almost certainly left in the rim from manufacture. Atrocious service.

Great programme though, good on him.

just jim

"I'm just about to cross the Nullarbor, can I call you back?"

Classic!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just finished watching the second episode on iPlayer - thanks to the person who posted about this - an amazing feat, great documentary. I;m pleased to note Mark and I have the same shorts in common!!!! Clearly he made a good choice there.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Jings, now that's what I call a head wind... who was it was saying that butterfly bars are a problem cycling into the wind?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm looking around the Scotland Outdoors website and I'm completely failing to find a link to last nights program ... yes I know - thick. Could someone post a link for me please.

Deefex

>Jings, now that's what I call a head wind... who was it was saying that >butterfly bars are a problem cycling into the wind?

That would be me. From what I saw in last night's episode they weren't getting him out of the wind in Australia. You could see him using the top bar but that just seemed to stretch him long ways rather than tucking him down as drops would have.

Don't know whether a Brooks leather saddle would have prevented him from getting such severe saddle sores (everyone I talk to swears by them) either.

Compelling viewing though. Can't wait for tonight's final episode

Top Bottom