The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just been reliving Park Rash on Street view and there is no car park!
Weelll.... there is a fair bit of space to vaguely park a car at the very top, just after the couple of bits of 20% near the top, but you did say the lower bit, after the really steep starting point. In that case, there is a track opening on the left at the very top of the initial hard part, just before it slackens off from 18% to something more like 12-15%. They were probably there as stopping elsewhere would be, to say the least, a little* stupid.

*For values of 'little' starting with 'very, very' and going upwards from there.

GuyBoden

Guru

Well done to anyone who gets up that, wow.................:notworthy:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I forgot to tell you the first part of my Park Rash story ...

I had cycled to the foot of the climb along the road from Kettlewell that you can see at the start of that video. A small Royal Mail van had squeezed past me just after the village. As I approached the foot of Park Rash, the van came back towards me, obviously having delivered some mail to a farm or farms further up the road. The RM driver had a very curious look on his face, a cross between pity and hilarity. It quite unsettled me. And then I looked up, and saw the reason for his expression ... :eek:

I normally climb sitting down, but sometimes I might have to stand towards the top of a steep ramp. Park Rash was different! I slammed the bike down into my best grovelling gear and leapt out of the saddle before I even hit the hill proper - there was no chance whatsoever that I would be able to get up that thing while perched on the saddle!

PS Chris Boardman won the National Hill Climb Championship on Park Rash in 1991.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Re the earlier posts and having an "audience", my most memorable was going over Mam Tor rather than Winnats Pass. I hadn't realised just how much the surface had shifted and found myself climbing on a bike totally unsuitable for what was left of the road surface. Something recognised by a helpful comment from an adult hiker, when he said "I think you brought the wrong bike."
By the time the right bike, wrong place, really sunk home, pride wouldn't let me turn and descend past those I had just climbed past. To make matters worse, the incline and road surface meant I was desperate for a break to remove the burning from my lungs and let my heart slow down. But groups of children on geography field trips, seemed to be strung out all the way to the summit and once again pride struck. It got me up, but at the summit as I finally stopped and was sat gasping for air, I think a couple of adult hikers were quite concerned. :laugh:

Elysian_Roads

After March's last minute and pretty miserable qualifying ride, I was hoping for better in April.

I wasn't sure it was going to be today as there was a promised visit from the r*in fairy, with a limited slot around lunchtime for a dryish ride. Woke up this morning and no visit.

So out on the road bike, and pretty much the same route as March but a bit longer and a bit quicker, and some retail therapy as well. So all in all a good ride, and the qualifier in the bag early in the month. Nice!

Hope you have all had / will have good rides this weekend.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
The forecast rain had passed my house by 10am so I decided to do the 102k route that I had planned & not the shorter reserve route.

Unfortunately however, having taken the mudguards off I caught the rain up along the Chalke Valley (I should have know really, its a valley & always wet! doh) but thankfully it passed within a few miles so my bail out options weren't needed & it was onwards & upwards towards the one & only hill of the day at Donhead Hollow.

It was at this point that the lack of miles so far this year showed as I huffed & puffed my way to the top, although thankfully the next 20 or so miles were mostly downhill into the southerly breeze.

Lunch was taken at Sixpenny Handley before heading down to Verwood & back up through the forest with the breeze on my tail for home & 63.7 miles in the bank.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1494374838

steverob

Guru
All week (including early this morning), the BBC were forecasting rain for much of Saturday here, but as they also forecast rain for ALL of Sunday, I felt that today was the better opportunity to get my April 100km done, and despite temperatures having finally risen to the point where shorts and short sleeve tops would normally make their annual debut, I thought that I'd still be better off dressed for the inevitable wet weather.

That lasted all of six miles - I was sweating like a pig! Removed my jacket, hat under helmet, long fingered gloves (didn't have my fingerless on me, so rest of the ride was bare handed), but left the leggings and second top as they'd have been too difficult to remove. Also it didn't help that I quickly ran out of space to store all this extra kit - the zips on my bar bag had got stuck (probably months of winter grime had jammed them up), meaning I had one less place to stuff things. At my second stop I eventually pried them open and had another reshuffle.

Once I'd got back to normal temperature, the ride was quite decent. Did a number of short, punchy climbs to the north of the Chilterns around the Whipsnade and Dunstable area and grabbed a few new VeloViewer tiles around the south of Luton. Still very wary about descending and had the brakes pretty much on full as I came down Bison Hill from Whipsnade Zoo for the first time. But even after riding for four and a half hours, there still wasn't a drop of rain - go figure!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
April's done.
A ride of opposites. Started out in cold dense mist, but by the time I was in Salford, I looked overdressed compared to a couple of other cyclists. Then rode into cold dense mist before the sun seemed to finally burn it away at about 50 kms. But continued to hit cold patches. even though the mist had gone.
Also a ride of opposites for my legs. First 15 miles they felt as if there was no strength and I seriously considered revising the ride to a 50k. Then they started to feel a little more normal, but hardly, "I am going to rip that incline." But that lasted only for 30 miles. Fortunately the ride was not what would be called lumpy. It will be interesting to see how they feel on tomorrow's commutes.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm getting too old for this! Saracen Spring Century audax completed ... but missed the time limit on an audax for the first time ever. It was already a long one, but it didn't help that my written route sheet didn't agree with Rich's GPS file. and we ended up adding a further 6 rather hilly miles to it by taking wrong turns. I started to suffer at the 55 mile mark and had to be given a gel at 65 miles. Rich had a slow puncture around the 60 mile mark and had to stop 3 times to pump up his rear tyre. The café had closed and the organisers had gone home by the time we got back to Droitwich. Strangely, we both ended up enjoying it anyway. Spotted a field of reindeer and a Vulcan bomber today, and completed my second longest ride ever, at 78.4 miles (126.1km). Also got to see some cracking Warwickshire lanes I'd never ridden before. April done. That's 40 months in a row now, and it's brought my Eddington number (Imperial) up to 54.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did my April ride today - 136 very hilly km (2,400 metres of ascent).

Marchs in the bag 71 miles pre riding a route for a future forum ride
April's in the bag?

@cosmicbike - you have left me off the list of participants in your first post of the 2018 Challenge thread! Also - you didn't delete the instruction to copy one's previous ride list and add a new ride to that, when the rule was changed to us each editing our original ride post.

13 rider

Guru
I did my April ride today - 136 very hilly km (2,400 metres of ascent).

April's in the bag?

@cosmicbike - you have left me off the list of participants in your first post of the 2018 Challenge thread! Also - you didn't delete the instruction to copy one's previous ride list and add a new ride to that, when the rule was changed to us each editing our original ride post.
Doh very observant @ColinJ . Note to oneself don't rush on to cyclechat while still tied from a ride posting errors may occur

Top Bottom