The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In view of Boris's recent televised speech announcing an effective lockdown, I have decided to withdraw from this years challenge. I know it was said that one period of exercise is permitted, but a single ride of 100 km is not, IMHO, in keeping with the spirit of what is being requested. It would involve travel outwith my local area, which is not a good idea and certainly not best practice. Let's hope 2021 sees an improvement in this situation, and also less rain and wind in the early part of the year. Stay safe everyone.
i agree althoughi have not really joined the challenge when active i generally do a metric most weekends but given the current situation i am limiting myself to a couple of hours max at a time .

13 rider

Guru
I agree with sentiments expressed by Donger. It is hard to see how to justify a 100k effort of presumably 4 hours or so given the advice therein. Perhaps this and the other longer distance challenges should be suspended in the interest of good citizenship. Obviously everyone will do, in an un-publicised way, whatever they feel is reasonable but CCForum may regret if it is seen to be implicitly encouraging what is now, rightly or wrongly, thought to be anti-social behaviour.

With regret I will join Donger and abstain.
As the unofficial thread monitor of the 50km challenge . I am continuing to log rides if individuals decide to do the distance but I am certainly not encouraging people to ride and the end of the month reminders were not done this month. I have also decided if the lockdown continues for all of April participants will get a bye for the month so not to force people out just to stay in the challenge hopefully this way the challenge can continue in some form
stay safe everyone

Brandane

Legendary Member
March saw the end of my challenge due to the Cv19 lockdown (coupled with a lack of desire to do local circuits until I reached 100km) :sad:. Anyone else fallen by the wayside?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
March saw the end of my challenge due to the Cv19 lockdown (coupled with a lack of desire to do local circuits until I reached 100km) :sad:. Anyone else fallen by the wayside?
Yes ....... unless the restrictions are lifted by 30 April .... which they won't be. Even if the challenge is modified to disregard the lockdown period, I'm not sure I'd want to display a silver star for the year 2020. Once we're back up and running, this might free me to try other cycling experiences before returning to the Challenge next year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had already dropped out, but if the crisis eases in time I intend to transfer my grand total of 1 metric century to the 2020 Lunacy Challenge and do another 12 for that. That would be a bit of a push unless I am doing long rides again by the start of August. Still, it is something to look forward to for now. Maybe the whole cycling year will end up written off, but let's be optimistic, eh?

13 rider

Guru
I doubt i will manage a 100 k in the current conditions , most days i clock up 25-35 miles locally .
First long ride for 3 weeks the hardest thing to start with was riding at the right place having got use to just smashing it for an hour I soon realized I couldn't do that for 4 hours

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
First long ride for 3 weeks the hardest thing to start with was riding at the right place having got use to just smashing it for an hour I soon realized I couldn't do that for 4 hours
I burned out yesterday, ran out of water and avg went down from19 odd after 20 miles to 18 by the time i got home and it was only a 35 mile ride

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
April won't be happening now given lockdown has been extended, so I am out too. Hopefully I can stay in the 50km challenge in the meantime and lunacy if we're let off the leash in a month or two. Getting fit again will be hard work.

Last edited:

KingswayRider

Über Member
I'd spent most of March & April off the bike, debating what I should / should not do in the light of conflicting information flying around. However, the official guidance doesn't actually block completing such a ride & as I'm healthy, I couldn't see how a ride was going to place any burden on the NHS...unless some numpty in a car knocked me off.
So, Saturday morning I was awake early & thought "what the hell", lets get out for an early spin. I was home just after 11am, having covered my 100km's. No great rush & certainly felt the recent lack of miles. The busiest bit was the last few miles & I had to call to some riders who seem to think occupying the whole road was the way to go, requesting to be through as I approached. Maintained my social distancing throughout.
Whether I continue the challenge going forwards...I can't say. By this tie of year I'd expect to be piling in 100km rides most weekends, yet here I am just squeezing in a steady outing.
I see neighbours having friends/family over on a regular basis & this prompted my decision to ride...I haven't broken any rules (having carefully examined the gov.uk site) & exercised caution around others, rode within myself & didn't push on faster sections, to minimise any risk.
I'm sure once the restrictions have lifted, a spin out with @Donger will be high on the list of "to do's".

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'd spent most of March & April off the bike, debating what I should / should not do in the light of conflicting information flying around. However, the official guidance doesn't actually block completing such a ride & as I'm healthy, I couldn't see how a ride was going to place any burden on the NHS...unless some numpty in a car knocked me off.
So, Saturday morning I was awake early & thought "what the hell", lets get out for an early spin. I was home just after 11am, having covered my 100km's. No great rush & certainly felt the recent lack of miles. The busiest bit was the last few miles & I had to call to some riders who seem to think occupying the whole road was the way to go, requesting to be through as I approached. Maintained my social distancing throughout.
Whether I continue the challenge going forwards...I can't say. By this tie of year I'd expect to be piling in 100km rides most weekends, yet here I am just squeezing in a steady outing.
I see neighbours having friends/family over on a regular basis & this prompted my decision to ride...I haven't broken any rules (having carefully examined the gov.uk site) & exercised caution around others, rode within myself & didn't push on faster sections, to minimise any risk.
I'm sure once the restrictions have lifted, a spin out with @Donger will be high on the list of "to do's".
Looking forward to riding the Gwendraeth with you some time .... or a trip to the Isle of Wight. It's just as well I've not attempted anything further afield this month, as I've been plagued with mechanicals. I'll say hello as we pass if we cross paths.

Top Bottom