The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ummmm...... before this becomes overly analytical, I did note the apostrophes around 'flat' for the 80km and was merely being whimsical. Even 'flat' can be getting on for 1,000m in 80km (I'd argue), leaving a mere 700m in the remaining 22km, which is perfectly reasonable.

Ajax Bay

Guru
"first and last 40km 'flat' "
Sorry to mislead. First 18km and last 22km ETA: were along the Exe valley/estuary: so 1500m in 62km: almost up to @Sea of vapours 'hilly' standard. Have checked more carefully and looks like about 1350m in 58km (Garmin algorythym).
Was still much hillier than we planned - navigational inexactitude, and really not caring where we went.
Highlights: spotting a furry caterpillar on the wall of a tyre as I crawled up a climb; looking across a valley saying 'I wonder if that's the top of the climb, looks steep (10 minutes later this was confirmed after 110m in 900m); and finding a signpost starting with 'W' (our Wednesday evening 'ride to the pub' group is on the third alphabetical hunt: first pubs, then villages, now signposts. The grass round the signpost had been trampled down. Turned out another in the group had been out to 'get it' an hour before. Little things to keep one amused.
And I always shout 'all OK' if I pass a cyclist that's looking they might have a problem. Usually 'No, fine.'
However, passing through town at exactly 100km, bloke outside the (closed of course on Sunday) bike shop. "You OK?" "Nope: snapped ;) chain" Chain tool and quick link out, check chain long enough still for large/large, push out a link, install quick link, refit chain, "Ride on!" Thankfully chain was clean/new(?) and unoiled. :bicycle::ninja:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes! At the risk of being called 'analytical' my approximate ratings are:
  • m ascent per km <= 5m = 'flat'
  • 5 <= m ascent per km <= 10 = 'flattish'
  • 10 <= m ascent per km <= 15 = 'undulating'
  • 15 <= m ascent per km <= 20 = 'hilly'
  • 20 <= m ascent per km <= 25 = 'very hilly'
  • m ascent per km >= 25 = 'EXTREMELY hilly' (a.k.a. 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh'! :laugh:)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You omitted the all-important 'overly' quallifier preceding 'analytical' :whistle: The ranges seem good though.

See attached for a properly hilly, Pennine tracklog.
Yep, that is pretty lumpy... I'd guesstimate, what, about 3,000 metres worth? If so, that's around 27 m/km!

PS That is one area that I haven't yet been to. Maybe one day, post-virus, but preferably pre-my-70s! :laugh:

3,100m approx. It was rather hard work, but well worth it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
  • m ascent per km >= 25 = 'EXTREMELY hilly' (a.k.a. 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh'! :laugh:)
That's pretty much the same mental assessment that I use.

Mine's a bit simpler. 1,000m per 100k is basically "par" as far as I'm concerned. Less than that is "flat". More than that is "hilly". Much more than that is really hilly. Much less is really flat.

The flattest ride of any significant distance I've ever done was 500m over 150km. Ironically I had to go t'North to do that. (FNRttC York to Hull, down the Vale of York, and then Hull-Driffield).

It's hard for me to get much more than 15m per km if starting from home, especially if I also return to home as well (due to the landscape). I do have one route that's just sneaks over 20m per km but that is only 55km and involves riding out and getting the train home. This is excluding routes that do things like hill reps and other silliness. My hill rep sessions go to as much as 35m per km, but they don't last all that long - max 20k - and aren't proper rides.

Last edited:

gbs

Guru
Curiously the lock down conditions have favoured increased mileage for me: a) riding the bike rather than the train to clear London suburbs adding 30/40 k per ride, and b) more time available because of enforced cancellation of other activities. In May I recorded 12 rides exceeding 100k; nothing remarkable in the vertical gains - only 7 rides exceeded 1000m, the max being 1323m.

In June I will set myself some 1500+m rides. I think that I have fully recovered from the CV19 debilitation so no excuses remain

Wonderful! Or in the case of Mt.Teide (62m per km for 40km) 'Just Stupid'

So, today was my 100th 100km+ ride. When I started this lark nearly 5 years ago a 100km felt like a very long way. If it wasn't for this ****ing challenge I reckon I'd have done lot less of them, obviously I can't stop now. Thanks for everyone's support, it's made me do some decidedly stupid things on a bike (the Joshua Tree desert ride in 39 degrees being just one).

Top Bottom