The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I may need my head examining... 3rd one this month? 135km this time - and some data is missing. went over to Failsworth and back to see the in-laws.... rain held off, but it did get as black as night at one point and around Tatton Park front and rear lights were needed to be see under those trees. Even cars were disappearing into the gloom. Some idiot of a woman tried to kill me in Tatton Park, my right of way, I'm going straight on, she's at a give way line and almost as late as possible, she pulls out across the front of me. I was in primary, not indicating and had my front (off-road) light on. She had seen and looked me in the eye and pulled out! Even the vehicle behind her didn't move (thankfully) because that was the only place I had left to go to - behind her with a rather violent swerve (not to mention some language that can't be repeated...) thankfully I didn't come off, and my OH who has behind me had enough time to react to avoid her as well... onlookers were left wondering WTF though. Thankfully, the rest of the journey was uneventful and the roads pretty quiet - minor yell at a mtb'er who decided that he was not going to pass me on by sticking to the left on a cycle path (alongside the A556)... Am I the only person who stays left on 2 way cycle paths and expects to pass oncoming bikes in the same manner as a road? (no pedestrian or shared use, just bikes - pedestrians have their own segregated lane).... slowish time, but hey ho... average of 20.6kph but there was a gusty headwind for the last 66km home...knackered now... Got a QOM as well, but curiously whilst strava sees me as having the QOM when I go to the leaderboard I don't feature on it! :wacko:... http://www.strava.com/activities/184828906

Fubar

Guru
I may need my head examining... 3rd one this month? 135km this time - and some data is missing. went over to Failsworth and back to see the in-laws.... rain held off, but it did get as black as night at one point and around Tatton Park front and rear lights were needed to be see under those trees. Even cars were disappearing into the gloom. Some idiot of a woman tried to kill me in Tatton Park, my right of way, I'm going straight on, she's at a give way line and almost as late as possible, she pulls out across the front of me. I was in primary, not indicating and had my front (off-road) light on. She had seen and looked me in the eye and pulled out! Even the vehicle behind her didn't move (thankfully) because that was the only place I had left to go to - behind her with a rather violent swerve (not to mention some language that can't be repeated...) thankfully I didn't come off, and my OH who has behind me had enough time to react to avoid her as well... onlookers were left wondering WTF though. Thankfully, the rest of the journey was uneventful and the roads pretty quiet - minor yell at a mtb'er who decided that he was not going to pass me on by sticking to the left on a cycle path (alongside the A556)... Am I the only person who stays left on 2 way cycle paths and expects to pass oncoming bikes in the same manner as a road? (no pedestrian or shared use, just bikes - pedestrians have their own segregated lane).... slowish time, but hey ho... average of 20.6kph but there was a gusty headwind for the last 66km home...knackered now... Got a QOM as well, but curiously whilst strava sees me as having the QOM when I go to the leaderboard I don't feature on it! :wacko:... http://www.strava.com/activities/184828906

One thing putting me off sportives now is the amount of cyclists who think it is acceptable to "undertake" on the left, just because it is a closed road event!?! Like you I think rules of the road, no matter where you are actually cycling.

Scary stuff with the driver, even looking them in the eye sometimes has no effects - I think they are programmed to think "cyclist, I've got plenty time..."

One thing putting me off sportives now is the amount of cyclists who think it is acceptable to "undertake" on the left, just because it is a closed road event!?! Like you I think rules of the road, no matter where you are actually cycling.

Scary stuff with the driver, even looking them in the eye sometimes has no effects - I think they are programmed to think "cyclist, I've got plenty time..."
glad I am not the only one re: following the rules.

I have no issues with cars undertaking me in one way streets and the likes - we have exactly that situation in Northwich where there is a 'ring road' only rather like the M25 you have to turn off it to stay on it.. only you have to do this on the right, not the left! I can't show you the Google drive by thingy of it because Google still has it as a 2 way road and I have lived here over 2 years and never known it as Google has it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
glad I am not the only one re: following the rules.

I have no issues with cars undertaking me in one way streets and the likes - we have exactly that situation in Northwich where there is a 'ring road' only rather like the M25 you have to turn off it to stay on it.. only you have to do this on the right, not the left! I can't show you the Google drive by thingy of it because Google still has it as a 2 way road and I have lived here over 2 years and never known it as Google has it.
This sounds like a section of the M8 in Glasgow. It's the only motorway I know where you have a slip road coming onto the motorway into the RIGHT hand lane! About a mile further on you have an exit sliproad leaving from the right hand lane :wacko:. (Eastbound around the Charing cross/Townhead junctions).

Anyway, the reason I came onto this thread was to confess that my 100km a month challenge for 2014 has hit the buffers :sad:.
An on-going hip problem has put paid to it. Physio told me I could cycle but to keep it sensible. Turns out my liberal interpretation of "sensible" wasn't quite the same as hers :tongue:.
I have noticed some improvement recently, now that I have gone truly sensible; so hopefully with a bit of patience I will be back for the 2015 challenge :thumbsup:.

This sounds like a section of the M8 in Glasgow. It's the only motorway I know where you have a slip road coming onto the motorway into the RIGHT hand lane! About a mile further on you have an exit sliproad leaving from the right hand lane :wacko:. (Eastbound around the Charing cross/Townhead junctions).

Anyway, the reason I came onto this thread was to confess that my 100km a month challenge for 2014 has hit the buffers :sad:.
An on-going hip problem has put paid to it. Physio told me I could cycle but to keep it sensible. Turns out my liberal interpretation of "sensible" wasn't quite the same as hers :tongue:.
I have noticed some improvement recently, now that I have gone truly sensible; so hopefully with a bit of patience I will be back for the 2015 challenge :thumbsup:.
I know that section of Motorway well...

Unfortunately our version of easy and sensible never, ever ties in with what a physio thinks of as sensible or 'take it easy', but your hip is more important than 2014's challenge... best wishes and please look after it, says the person not very good at looking after her wrists... :whistle:

Fubar

Guru

I echo @SatNavSaysStraightOn comments, take it easy and hopefully you'll be back better than ever for next year!

I also know that slip lane at Charing Cross on the M8 well, used to travel from Fife to Glasgow every day - joining the 5 lanes of wall-to-wall traffic from the left then nudging your way to the right was interesting, along with watching out for those in the right lane using it to jump further into the queue on the left!:wacko: Compared to that cycle commuting is a breeze...

<snip>.

Just remembered that they have now done the same with the M60. J25 around Stockport

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

Sorry you've had to drop out. I hope the hip problem does get sorted and you can bounce back stronger for the coming year.:thumbsup:

Fubar

Guru
Pleased with my effort today - 200k solo riding to Perth for the Highland Perthshire Challenge sportive (50 mile route) then riding back home again. My first 200k and longest ride, obviously. Headwind was sapping my energy near the end, but made it! Also fitting in at least 1 100k every week in August (5 in total) so I can rest easy tonight - hard work starts again next weekend!

jayonabike