The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, there's a good example of why some flexibility might be nice. SNSSO is going through a very tough time at the moment with a knackered back, but let's hope that she can get back to riding later in the year, and build up to doing long rides again. I think it would be perfectly reasonable for her, or anyone else with health/injury problems, to start when they like.

I am still feeling below par after a festive chest infection so I am wondering if I will manage a 100 km ride in January. I am thinking of organising an 85 km forum ride and would decide on the day whether to add on the other 15 km.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
How about something like (shoot me down if you like):
  • You can join the thread at any time of the year
  • If you miss a month, then you're out for the rest of the year (or, maybe you are allowed to miss one month or something).
  • You can only post rides from the time at which you join.
  • Only if you have been in from Jan until Dec do you win the Special Prize which is ... er ...
I, and at least one other, joined mid year so having a January only join date seems a bit harsh as it's only a bit of fun.

Fubar

Guru
Well, there's a good example of why some flexibility might be nice. SNSSO is going through a very tough time at the moment with a knackered back, but let's hope that she can get back to riding later in the year, and build up to doing long rides again. I think it would be perfectly reasonable for her, or anyone else with health/injury problems, to start when they like.

I am still feeling below par after a festive chest infection so I am wondering if I will manage a 100 km ride in January. I am thinking of organising an 85 km forum ride and would decide on the day whether to add on the other 15 km.

Good points, well presented.

Fubar

Guru
How about something like (shoot me down if you like):
  • You can join the thread at any time of the year
  • If you miss a month, then you're out for the rest of the year (or, maybe you are allowed to miss one month or something).
  • You can only post rides from the time at which you join.
  • Only if you have been in from Jan until Dec do you win the Special Prize which is ... er ...
I, and at least one other, joined mid year so having a January only join date seems a bit harsh as it's only a bit of fun.

I would agree with your second point - I think the motivation (and point of the challenge) comes from knowing you have to do at least one 100k ride each month, every month. We (well, me) talked about getting some kind of acknowledgement for completing the challenge (i.e. a shiny star), if that was for 12 consecutive months of 100k rides it wouldn't bother me as that's still a great achievement - though might make it a bit more difficult to administer?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've not been a regular on this thread having never yet managed the year's worth of metric centuries due to a bad habit of always falling at the first hurdle (getting enough miles and motivation under my belt in January). I popped in today to throw my hat in the ring for 2015 - I was ill in December and swapped most of my fit for fat so need a serious goal to change it back. I like the strictness of the imperial century challenge and don't see why the metric challenge can't adhere to the same rules.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The main rule that is under discussion here is whether you can start logging only in Jan, or whether you can join in at any time. At the moment you can join the thread at any time. I think this may also be the case for the imperial thread (not entirely sure, I did ask once but I forget the answer). But you only get a the right to put a gold star in your sig for a calendar year's worth of 100 mile rides.

I'm a fan of being able to join at any time. People may reach a decent level of fitness in, say, April, and then use the thread as a motivational tool to maintain that fitness. Others may join the board mid-year, or have a job change which gives them a bit more free time. The more the merrier, say I. Of course if you fail to keep it up, then you can't just log the odd ride here and there. So if you miss a month you have to go away - which is why I suggest that you are ruled out until the next Jan if you do that.

I also like the informal nature of the thread and the fact that one thread has been bumbling along since 2007. It's less intimidating.

Just my 2p. But I've only been logging on the thread since November, thus I'm a total Johnny-come-lately so feel free to cast my opinions aside like an old sock. :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh, ok then ...

I have only ridden 23 miles since the middle of December, and I still feel under par due to the chest infection I had over Christmas, but I will have another go at this pesky thing, starting this month! :whistle:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We are hoping to join in the challenge fun this year. We are planning our 100km ride for towards the end of the month, even if it takes all day and we have to stop for lunch and afternoon tea. It won't be fast but we reckon that we can do it.

Fubar

Guru
The main rule that is under discussion here is whether you can start logging only in Jan, or whether you can join in at any time. At the moment you can join the thread at any time. I think this may also be the case for the imperial thread (not entirely sure, I did ask once but I forget the answer). But you only get a the right to put a gold star in your sig for a calendar year's worth of 100 mile rides.

I'm a fan of being able to join at any time. People may reach a decent level of fitness in, say, April, and then use the thread as a motivational tool to maintain that fitness. Others may join the board mid-year, or have a job change which gives them a bit more free time. The more the merrier, say I. Of course if you fail to keep it up, then you can't just log the odd ride here and there. So if you miss a month you have to go away - which is why I suggest that you are ruled out until the next Jan if you do that.

I also like the informal nature of the thread and the fact that one thread has been bumbling along since 2007. It's less intimidating.

Just my 2p. But I've only been logging on the thread since November, thus I'm a total Johnny-come-lately so feel free to cast my opinions aside like an old sock. :smile:

That was certainly the case for me, I joined in August 2013 and have done at least 1 a month since then, but only counted Jan-Dec 2014 as completing the challenge.

Sounds like we are all on the same page, the challenge is Jan-Dec, join at any time but you must log every month - and do we go for a shiny star or stick with a virtual pat on the back??

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Agreed.

I have just proposed a half century challenge for anybody who feels over-challenged by metric or imperial centuries. Bronze star for that!

Top Bottom